New Teachers Adjust to Life at GHS

Spanish Teacher Tamara Linares

Lily Martir-Lugo, Staff Writer

This year there are a number of new teachers at GHS. In addition to adjusting to a new school, these teachers have had to learn how to navigate teaching in the online environment, and although it has been challenging they are enjoying their time so far at GHS.

The new Spanish teacher is Tamara Linares and she credits her sister with inspiring her to be a teacher. “So my inspiration for being a teacher came from when my younger sister was born. We are 8 years apart and I just loved being able to teach her how to read, write, ride her bike, play sports, etc.,” she said. “I also worked in elementary school in college as a teachers assistant and in after-school program and being around kids was something that I truly loved.” 

Linares has been teaching for a long time now. “ Before coming to Greendale I taught in the Oak Creek Franklin School District for 15 years. While there I taught Spanish at the elementary schools, middle school, and high school. I traveled a lot to different buildings and classrooms and I got to meet so many students over the years,” she said. 

She is very happy to be at GHS. “I chose to come to Greendale because I live in Greendale and my own children go to school here. Teaching here has helped me feel more like a part of the community. I like the small class sizes, the teachers and of course my students at the high school and middle school,” she said. 

Linares went to Edgewood College and double majored in education and Spanish. “Outside of school I love to spend time with my family and we love to spend time outdoors with our new puppy. I also love to watch movies, read and try new recipes,” she said. 

Another new teacher is FACE teacher Amy Vida, who went to the University of Wisconsin–Stevens Point after spending her first year at UW–Washington County in West Bend. “I started as an English Education and German Education double major, but I didn’t end up sticking with German. Instead, after I took a nutrition class for a science credit, and I fell in love with studying foods and took up Family & Consumer Sciences as my new second major. I got certified in both, so I can teach either,” she said. 

FACE Teacher Amy Vida

Vida likes learning new things, so talking about different topics and getting to explore different ideas is incredibly fun for her. “I really love encouraging students to get interested in the world and to practice being curious and asking questions. I enjoy learning what students are curious about and what skills they want to develop or build,” she said.  

She wants to inspire her students and be someone important to them. “I want to inspire students to be inquisitive– to want to know more about the world, and to ask questions. I think getting interested in things– whatever those things are– helps people to open up and to live more vibrant lives,” she said. “Sometimes people confuse “learning” with “school”– I think that whether you like “school” or not, everyone has an opportunity to love to LEARN, and that when you embrace that and find something you really want to understand, your life gets better and more interesting. The more interested people are, the more interesting they become. And the more you care to learn and better yourself, the better the lives of other people get, and the better society gets,” she said. 

Vida’s mom inspired her to become a teacher. “My mom says that when I was a little kid, before I could write, I would scribble on papers and “grade” them. So I guess I’ve always wanted to teach– except for the brief time in high school where I wanted to be an illustrator and author– and it was just a matter of WHAT to teach,” she said. “I’ve loved English and that’s actually what I taught at my last school, and what I figured I’d always teach. I do find that I’m loving FCS, though! Food is so fun. I’m thinking about getting certified to teach History and Psychology as well sooner or later. I love teaching because I love learning, and I hope that I can become the type of teacher that helps students enjoy learning.” 

Andrew Muszytowaski is the new business teacher and he has been teaching for many years. “In reality, this is my 33rd year at the high school level. I taught business and marketing classes for 17 years in Mukwonago, Kenosha, and Waukesha. Then for the last 15 years, I was an assistant principal and principal in West Allis Nathan Hale, St. Francis, and at Messmer high schools,” he said. 

Business Teacher Andrew Muszytowaski

He loves to teach and is excited to be in the classroom again. “At this point in my career, I am absolutely thrilled to be back in the classroom teaching again.  I hope to continue teaching for the next ten years or so,” he said.  “At that point, I will probably retire from teaching and then do something else in my life. Time will tell.  Because I teach business and marketing, I hope that my students truly get a better understanding of how the world around them works and get a better sense of the job and career opportunities that are out there for them,” he said.  

Muszytowaski feels very fortunate to be teaching at  Greendale. “In college, I started off in business, but switched to education after my first semester because I was inspired by the previous teachers I had in high school. During the summer, when the position opened at Greendale High School, I jumped at it,” he said.  “I’ve been in the Milwaukee area my entire adult life and I always heard good things about Greendale.  This history and reputation and overall staff dedication to the students really made the switch back into teaching very easy for me. The one thing that I have noticed quickly at the high school is how committed the students are to their education.  I have seen a lot in 32 years and this is just so refreshing and energizing for me!” he said.

The Social Students department also has a new member, Jim Doucette, who has been teaching for many years. “I got my BA from UW-Eau Claire in Broadfield Social Studies in 1986 (the Dark Ages) and my MA in US History from UW-Milwaukee in 2000,” he said. 

Social Studies Teacher Jim Doucette

So far he loves working at GHS. “I retired from Franklin High School last year, but wanted to continue teaching part time. Greendale is an excellent district and it allowed me to continue to work with young people, although virtually, and do what I love to do.” 

He really enjoys teaching and hopes that he can help students appreciate history. “Getting to know students is the best part of the job and the hardest part during the Covid-era. I want students to find an appreciation for our nation’s story and for them to be informed citizens. Having an opinion without accurate and verifiable facts makes your opinion a myth,” he said. 

He initially got into teaching because he wanted to coach, but he found that teaching was his true passion. “I actually wanted to coach and thought that teaching was the best way to do that, but then started to teach and realized how much that rocks!  Coaching is cool and all and an important way to get to know students outside of the classroom, but teaching is where I find the most satisfaction,” he said. “I went through 3 majors before settling on education and would not trade the last 34 years for any other profession, with the exception of being a drummer in a rock band. Surprisingly, the teacher pay is better and more reliable than rock drumming.” 

Teaching at GHS has been an excellent experience so far for special education teacher Christopher Roeloffs .  “The students are awesome, my colleagues rock and the administration treats us with respect and as professionals,” he said. 

Roeloffs loves teaching and he wants kids to be productive. “At this point I see myself teaching, and if I would change careers it would be in education and to move into another position that supports education. I enjoy working with students, and would like to continue coaching sports down the road,” he said. “Important work habits and organizational skills, and to be able to be set up for success as they move along High School and onto college.” 

Roeloffs wanted to become a teacher so he could help kids. “ I struggled with some aspects of learning when I was a kid, but was able to work through it and develop into a good student. I want to be a model and tell kids you don’t have to be born to be a great student, but if you put in the effort you can develop into one,” he said. 

So far he loves working at GHS. “Greendale High School gets a good rating for staff that enjoy working here. Teachers want to stay here, and this stuck with me. I enjoy the relationships and support I have received from other staff,” he said. 

Finally, the science department has a new face: Cheryl Maraccini, who has been teaching for a while. “I started my career at The Prairie School in Racine teaching science and coaching volleyball, but took a break to stay home with my kids.  I continued to stay involved in the community by taking a position as Curator of Education at the Racine Heritage Museum and then at Gateway Technical College,” she said. 

Science Teacher Cheryl Maraccini

She loves working at GHS so far and misses seeing her students in person. “Greendale has a wonderful reputation for its pride in its community and the high expectations for its educators and students.  I was excited to become part of this successful group of educators and jump back into the classroom.  I miss being around young adults and the energy that they bring to the class.  I have been blessed to have terrific students this semester.  They have been kind, intuitive, and they make me laugh.  I enjoy coming to school,” she said.

I work with a wonderful and inclusive group of teachers at Greendale.  They have mentored me, opened their classrooms, and made my first semester very smooth,” she added. 

Maraccini  enjoys being in the outdoors and spending time with her children.. “My hobbies right now are still my children.  My daughter is a junior at The Prairie School and my son graduated from Marquette High last year.  Being president of the Wisconsin Figure Skating Club keeps me very busy.  My daughter is an avid figure skater and my son played hockey, so ice arenas are ‘our second home.’  In fact, for several years we built our own rink in the backyard which was very popular with friends and family.  My husband, Ed and I like to hike, camp, and would like to travel to see more of the country,” she said. 

These new teachers love what they are doing and they also love working with the students and staff at GHS.