Brewers Wrap Up 2017 Season With a Win

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The Milwaukee Brewers concluded their successful season on Oct. 1 with a win against the St. Louis Cardinals 6-1.

The Brewers exceeded preseason expectations by staying in playoff contention the entire season, and despite the Brewers just missing the playoffs, the Brewers coaching staff, players, and Greendale High School students are proud of their 86-win season.

The Milwaukee Brewers manager Craig Counsell had some words to say about his young Brewers team and their season.

“At this point, we fell short. But it doesn’t take away from that this was a good season because this was a good season,” Counsell said.

But not just the Brewers coaches and players were happy with their young team maintaining playoff contention the entire season and finishing with an 86-76 record. Students at GHS are also proud of the successful season.

“The Brewers played very well this year and better than I expected,” sophomore Samuel Muth said “I didn’t think they were going to do well because of all the players they traded away, but other players stepped up. Although they need to upgrade their pitching because their pitching towards the end of the season blew their chances and earning a wildcard spot.”

Students also are saying that with the help of young players contributing and with Counsell also improving his managing, this helped this young Brewers team develop.

“Domingo Santana got off to a great start this year, and the addition of Travis Shaw and Eric Thames helped the Brewers both with the bats and in the field,” freshman Connor Kramp said.  “Thames had an incredible year with the bat, hitting 23 home runs before the All Star break. Also, manager Craig Counsell had a better idea of what he was doing this year and the young talent must’ve hyped up the coaching staff and other players.”

Before the season started, nobody expected the Brewers to even come close to the playoffs. However, the very young and inexperienced Milwaukee Brewers team maintained a first place in their division for almost the entire year and were just a few games out of a playoff spot.

Fans hope that younger players step up and contribute to help the team win, which they feel will make the Brewers a very scary team continuing into next season.