Wild Week of Upsets around College Football  

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The 2017 college football season is nearing the end with powerhouse Alabama climbing back to the #1 spot in the nation after being #2 for two weeks behind Georgia who got upset by the Auburn Tigers last weekend 40-17.

Two Big Ten teams remain in the top 10 after this past Saturday in the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Wisconsin Badgers. Ohio State is ranked #8 and Wisconsin is ranked at #5.

On Saturday, Nov 11, the college football world was shocked when #1 ranked Georgia was destroyed 40-17 by #10 Auburn, they then jumped to #6 in the nation. That wasn’t the only upset however. #3 Notre Dame was also upset by #7 Miami FL 41-8, so now Miami is ranked #3, and Notre Dame is #9.

With all the upsets around the nation, the College Football Playoff Committee (CFP) has had some trouble putting certain teams in the right spots.

“There has been a tremendous debate between No. 4 Clemson, and No. 2 Miami,” said Kirby Hocutt who is a member of the committee in an article on sbnation.com. “Both teams play tremendous defense compared to a lot of teams.”

Many teams have stood out because of their amazing play in the past few weeks, which has created even more excitement for the college football world and some Greendale High School students.

“The team that stood out the most in my opinion is Auburn,” freshman Keegan Kapocius said. “They are #6 in the rankings, and can get into the playoffs by winning out. I didn’t see this coming, and I don’t think anybody else did. Also, Miami showed everybody they are a legitimate team by beating the Irish pretty good.”

The 10-0 Wisconsin Badgers have found themselves just outside the top four which makes some GHS students excited for the hometown team. Freshman Sam Sommerfeld, thinks the Badgers will win out and he thinks the team is one watch for around the nation.

“I think Wisconsin will find their way into the top four and make the College Football Playoff,” Sommerfeld said. “I also think Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield will win the Heisman Trophy. He passed for 598 yards in a game, and puts up big numbers every other game as well.”