Eagles Win Super Bowl LII

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The Philadelphia Eagles beat the New England Patriots on Sunday, Feb. 4 to win Super Bowl LII with a final score of 41-33. This was the first time that the Eagles have ever won the Super Bowl, and they beat the defending champions and got revenge for when they lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl back in 2005.

The Patriots were picked as the team to win coming into the game because of their dominance in the postseason the past two decades. The Patriots have now made the Super Bowl three out of the past four years, so this was not new for Patriots fans and players. However, the Eagles were coming into the game without a Super Bowl title, and only one previous appearance in the past two decades.

The Eagles put up three points early in the first quarter, and scored again later in the first. They also held the Patriots to just three points in the opening quarter. The score at half was 22-12 in the Eagles favor after both teams scored with a few touchdowns and field goals in the second quarter.

In the second half, the Patriots outscored the Eagles in the third quarter and took the lead in the fourth before the Eagles scored a touchdown and field goal to put them up eight points late in the fourth.

A very key play that hurt the Patriots was a Tom Brady fumble late in the fourth. However, the Patriots defense stopped the Eagles after the fumble earning them one more possession. The Patriots were able to throw a hail mary near the endzone as time expired, but it fell incomplete.

Eagles quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles, says he was calm during the game because he knew his teammates and coaching staff were going to help them win.

“I felt calm,” Foles told FanSided.com. “We have such a great group of guys. Such a great coaching staff. We felt confident coming in and we just went out there and played football. We played this game since we were little kids, we’ve dreamed about this moment. There’s plenty of kids watching this game, dreaming about this moment and someday will be here. And to be here with my daughter, my wife, my teammates, this city.”

Foles proved he was well deserving of winning Super Bowl MVP after throwing for 373 yards, and three touchdowns. He also caught a touchdown as well which tallied 4 total touchdowns for Foles.

GHS sophomore Samuel Muth was also impressed with how Foles played.

“I was impressed by how he outplayed Tom Brady,” Muth said. “Throwing for a ton of yards and three touchdowns in your first Super Bowl is probably really hard so I was really impressed by how well he did.”

Of course fans know how Nick Foles was previously a backup and then he led his team to the Super Bowl, but Patriots quarterback Tom Brady also played phenomenally. In fact, Brady actually had a better game than Foles, but couldn’t win MVP because he was on the losing end of the game.

Brady threw for 505 yards and three touchdowns Sunday night. GHS freshman Jonathan Hottinger thought he played great for how much pressure was on him.

“There was a ton of pressure on Tom Brady heading into that game,” Hottinger said. “If Brady would’ve won the game he would for sure be the best quarterback ever and all other quarterbacks even close to him on the all time list would fall away. He kept the Patriots in the game.”

It’s pretty clear that Super Bowl 52 surprised a ton of people, and impressed a lot of people. Not many expected a backup quarterback in Foles to lead his team to victory over Brady’s defending champion Patriots. But since that’s what happened, it has generated a lot of excitement all over the place. Super Bowl 52 will definitely be a Super Bowl to remember for a long time for sure.