TATU Tackles Tobacco Head on with Education.

Yaminah Powell

Run through the Greendale Health Department, Teens Against Tobacco Use (TATU) Students are given an opportunity to educate the youth and are making an impact in the community.

TATU is composed of high school students, grades 9-12 who are trained to  educate elementary and middle school students about the dangers of Tobacco

“The key piece of the TATU program is its peer-to-peer communication. Youth are more likely to listen to youth rather than adults when it comes to tobacco use or other behaviors,” TATU adviser Madeline Eisen said. “High school students can relate to students in 4th and 7th grade (they were all 4th and 7th graders at one point too) and are basically role models to these younger students. A high school student saying, “hey I don’t smoke, and none of my friends smoke. It isn’t cool.” Is WAY more powerful than yet another adult telling them not to smoke.”

Many members of the club have interest in the medical field themselves, and see TATU as a chance for them to do good in their community while learning things that will help them in the future.

“I joined TATU freshman year to begin building my resume, but also because I am strongly against the usage of tobacco products due to their detrimental impacts on our health” junior Natalie Norton said.  

While the main idea of TATU is to teach students around the district about the harms of tobacco in a memorable way, student presenters are also able to build on their speech and leadership skills, and have endless memories from their many experiences

“My favorite part about presenting is knowing that I am benefiting the kids by educating them on Tobacco related things and benefiting myself by gaining leadership and speaking experience,” sophomore Alyssa Tomczak said. “I think that I am making an impact because when people are not informed about things they tend not to think about something before they do it. By educating them about potential impacts they will be able to make an informed decision on what they should do, if they are ever put in that kind of situation”

Also it’s a crucial part of the learning process that the older kids are teaching the younger kids.

“I think the 4th and 7th graders benefit from hearing about the dangers of smoking and vaping from other kids. They look up to the high school students as role models. It’s also fun to have guest speakers in the classroom,” Eisen said. “ I think for the high school students it is an opportunity practice public speaking and teaching! I have had many teachers come up to me after presentations and ask if the high school presenters are considering going into teaching because they were so good at not only presenting but also managing the classroom!”

TATU presenter make it a goal to present the information in a fun way, using activities and showing videos to the kids, with hopes that they provide enough information that if they time ever comes they have the refusal skills and are informed on how to make an informed/educated decision.

“I think we allow the kids to make an informed decision about smoking by providing them with the information they should know before it is too late,” senior Nick Schaefer said