Final Four Set in San Antonio

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The Elite Eight concluded last weekend with some very exciting finishes across the bracket. In the East region, top seed Villanova took down three seed Texas Tech 71-59 to punch their ticket to the Final Four for the second time in the last three years.

That game wasn’t the most exciting one, though. In the Midwest region, top seed Kansas took down two seed Duke in an overtime thriller. The final score was 85-81 and Kansas punched their ticket to the Final Four for the first time since 2012.

Kansas and Villanova are both top seeded teams so it will likely be a very exciting game. Kansas has won 14 Big 12 championships in a row, and Villanova is coming off two straight Big East championships as well. Both teams have plenty of championship experience, so playing in a big FInal Four game should be nothing too extreme for either team.

Some students at GHS are confident that Villanova will knock off Kansas and head to the championship.

“Villanova is a better all around team,” senior Alexander Waterstraat said. “They shoot the ball really well and I don’t think Kansas has a good enough offense or defense to keep up with them.”

Villanova’s offense has been lighting up the scoreboard in all of their tournament games. They scored 80+ points in their first three games, and scored 71 against Texas Tech. The same goes for Kansas, scoring 80+ points in three games as well, and one 76 point game.

Both teams are red hot on the offensive end, but freshman Keegan Kapocius is still confident with Villanova advancing.

“They have so much more experience this deep in the tournament,” Kapocius said. “Kansas hasn’t made the Final Four for like 6 years. Villanova won the championship a few years back and still has players on their roster from that team. They are more fit to play in big games like these.”

The East and Midwest regions have been very predictable because there has been only a few upsets in each region. But two top seeds from each region playing each other in the Final Four is easily one of the more difficult games to pick.

Freshman Nick Churchill didn’t hesitate to pick Kansas though.

“They’re such a tough team to beat,” Churchill said. “They are really efficient on offense and defense, shoot the ball well, and close out games well. Villanova does these things well, but Kansas easily does them better.”

In the west region of the bracket, the Cinderella story continues for Loyola-Chicago as they make their way to the final four for the 2nd time in school history by knocking off Kansas State in a blow out win 78-62. If this team wins the title, this will be the biggest underdog team to win the NCAA championship.

Senior Izak King Anaya thinks they can advance to the Final Four.

“I have Loyola winning just because of all the hype surrounding them,” he said.

The Michigan Wolverines are making their way back to the Final Four in the South bracket after beating Florida State in a close game 58-54. The last time the Wolverines made it to the Final Four was back in 2012  when the team was loaded with talent such as current NBA players Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway, Glenn Robinson III and Nik Stauskas. This team ended up losing in the championship game to the high powered Louisville Cardinals, so this year’s team is looking for redemption.

Junior Austin Sokolosky is confident that Michigan will remain hot and will beat Loyola and then go on to win the championship.

“I have picked them from the start in all of my brackets so I hope they win,” he said.

So, Michigan and Loyola will face off this Saturday to see who will play in the championship game.

Senior Jalen Johnson thinks Loyola will win.

“Loyola has the nation behind them. They have all the hype and have nothing to lose but it will be tough for them to beat Kansas or Villanova in the championship,” he said.

The Final Four is easily one of the most exciting times in all of sports. It’s no question that the champions of the Midwest and East regions in Villanova and Kansas matching up in the Final Four will be a very exciting game as will the game against Loyola Chicago or Michigan from the South and West side of the bracket.