GHS Recognizes College Commitments at Signing Day Event

Will Brust, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, May 9, Greendale High School honored 17 future college athletes from the class of 2018 at the Signing Day Event that took place before school. There were 17 athletes honored.

The event made its debut last school year where there were many athletes who were able to show off where they would be attending college and in what sport. However, this year there are even more athletes who will play college sports including football, soccer, volleyball, cheerleading, wrestling, swimming, poms, and basketball.

Senior Vlado Zrnic is excited to develop his basketball talent at Bosco Institute in Indiana.

“I’m excited to develop mentally and physically,” Zrnic said. “It will be really cool to see my progress as a basketball player from when I was young to when I finish college.”

As a senior, Zrnic was a First Team All Woodland Conference selection and averaged well over 20 points per game.

Senior and Concordia Volleyball commit Ryan Hoefs has high expectations for himself and his team in his first year of college.

I expect to play a lot,” Hoefs said. “The team last year didn’t win a single match so there will be a lot of changes. I expect to get our first win next year and over the next four years to become a nationally ranked DIII team.”

This past cheer season, the GHS cheer team placed fifth at a national cheer competition in Florida. It’s no question that many talented cheerleaders go to GHS, and one of them is Sally Kalchbrenner, who will be cheerleading at the University of Minnesota next year.

“I’m looking forward to getting to advance my skills with a group of people who are as passionate about the sport as I am,” Kalchbrenner said. “I really enjoy the atmosphere on campus and the location of campus. My school also has a top rated food science program, my major, and their cheer team is one of the best in the country.”

It’s very obvious that Greendale High School is full of athletically gifted students. With 17 students who are playing college sports next year, it’s obvious that GHS has great coaches in all sports and these athletes work on their skills to improve all year round, even when their sport isn’t in season. Because of the hard work and dedication from these athletes, they all earned opportunities to play college sports which is something not all athletes can say.