Brewers Off to a Strong Start

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The Brewers are off to one of their strongest starts since their 2011 playoff run. They are currently 26-18 and first place in the NL Central, one game ahead of the Cardinals. They are also tied for the second best record in baseball behind the Yankees and Red Sox, and they are tied with the Braves for the best record in the NL. They are also currently 5-2 on their current road trip.

Due to the very strong and exciting start for the Brewers, some GHS students are happy to see them in playoff contention again.

“It’s great to see them winning,” sophomore Samuel Muth said. “You don’t see seasons like this often from the Brewers, so I’m hoping they can keep winning and clinch the playoffs.”

Despite a few injuries, the Brewers are still managing to do fantastic. A few weeks ago, first baseman Eric Thames suffered a thumb injury and is out for 6-8 weeks. Pitcher Wade Miley is out for 6-8 weeks as well.

Just recently Ryan Braun was added to the disabled list with a back injury and is day-to-day. Catcher Stephen Vogt has suffered the worst injury so far though, a shoulder injury, and is out for the rest of the season for sure and maybe the rest of his career.

Because of these injuries, some Brewers players have to step up their game. Rookie pitcher Freddy Peralta did just that last Sunday. Peralta pitched 5 ⅓ innings and struck out a franchise record 13 batters for a rookie. Not to mention this was his major league debut as well.

Freshman Connor Kramp was shocked when he saw Peralta perform as well as he did.

“I would have never expected dominance like that from him,” Kramp said. “He was making it look easy. It felt like every batter he faced couldn’t touch him and would just strike out.”

With the Brewers off to such a great start, their attendance rates are getting much higher than usual. They are currently sitting at about 32,996 fans per game, which is their highest since 2011 where they had about 37,918 per game.

Some GHS students have gone to see the Brewers play themselves, such as senior Alexander Waterstraat who has attended a few games.

“I love the atmosphere of Brewer games,” Waterstraat said. “Going to the games with friends is really fun and they win most games I go to as well.”

The Brewers are currently on pace to have one of their best seasons in almost a decade. With young players stepping up for the team and helping them win, and having a ton of fans at each game, it’s not hard to tell why they are contending for a first place spot in their division and the entire National League. Hopefully they can keep up the good play and finally make a deep playoff run which is something that most fans haven’t seen yet.