Students and Staff Get Used to Hybrid Learing

With the pandemic still happening, students and staff are forced to try learning a new way.

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The 2020-21 school year will without a doubt be the most interesting one that students and staff at Greendale High School have ever had. The new hybrid system is over a month in progress, so GHS is beginning to adapt to the new school lifestyle during COVID-19. 

Schools around the state  all have a unique way in how they are approaching in person schooling during this pandemic. Many neighboring schools are doing in-person schooling five days a week compared to Greendale’s two day a week plan. However, extreme safety precautions follow for other districts, with a few in the area at 100 percent virtual. 

A lot of thought and discussion occurred over the summer by the administration before they decided on a schedule.“First off, we wanted to provide our families with a choice — fully-digital or hybrid in-person,” Principal Steve Lodes said. “If families chose hybrid in-person, we deemed it superior to a full return in the following ways: Group A and Group B class sizes that allowed for appropriate distancing. Group sizes, classroom and school, on a daily basis that allowed for appropriate cleaning and sanitization efforts.Group sizes, classroom and school, on a daily basis that allowed for safe hallway, before and afterschool, and lunchtime procedures. Class sizes appropriate to allow for focused instruction and support for students.” 

Even though students around the state are attending school on different amounts of days depending on their district plan, one thing everyone has in common is making an adjustment to their learning. Senior Jonny Hottinger thinks the adjustment hasn’t been super difficult. “In my eyes it hasn’t been hard at all,” Hottinger said. “The workload isn’t bad most of the time, and I think teachers are doing a good job even though I’m sure it’s very difficult for them. Also with the absence of my fall sport, I have a lot more time on my hands to focus on school.” 

Senior Paige Meunier has had a more difficult transition. “Unfortunately for me most of my friends attend school on A days and I am a B day student,” Meunier said. “It’s difficult because I collaborate with them a lot normally and it helps me perform well in school. So it’s been a little harder this year than I would’ve liked.” 

Students obviously aren’t the only ones making the adjustment, though. In fact, teachers are the ones who have it the most difficult especially at GHS with the two day plan. In many courses, the Monday Tuesday group or the “A” group is either in front or behind the “B” group in their learning. 

“I have found it difficult teaching the different groups on different days and feel that I am still not in a rhythm of teaching.” Math teacher Brian DeSalvo said. “Seeing students twice in 25 hours and then not again in person for 6 days has been challenging. It is more difficult to make connections with students and that is an important part of teaching. There are some benefits, such as smaller classes, allowing for more small group instruction and help when students are here.”

Some teachers are teaching all-virtual classes in addition to in-person classes.  “I am teaching an all virtual Chemistry and Honors Chemistry class,” Science teacher Julie Hahm said.  “There are 40 students but the 10 students in Honors Chem meet as a group on A days and the 30 students in Chem meet on B days. The greatest difficulty has been figuring out how to do labs virtually. In one lab about 8 of the students logged in to my hybrid class and got to take data that way. In the current lab, I have taken images of blocks with rulers on them for the students to record data. 

Hahm also said that another difficulty is that when virtual students are struggling, it is more difficult to notice it until many days have passed. “With the hybrid students, I can see the look on their face or see them staring at a problem and go over and ask what they are thinking. In the virtual setting, there is more responsibility on the students to advocate for help when they need it,” she said.

One of the benefits GHS students have from the two day schedule is extended free time. Despite still having assignments and meetings throughout the week, there is still a lot of time for students to lay low. 

Sophomore Izaiah Correa enjoys having lots of free time. “It makes it easy to focus on school and hobbies without things being too stressful,” Correa said. “It’s also nice to just be able to chill out five days a week even with online assignments because you have lots of time to complete them. Hanging out with friends more is great too.” 

All in all, GHS students have many things to enjoy the hybrid schedule and many things to dislike. Obviously no student or staff member wants to wear a mask and social distance every day and assign and complete online assignments, but with the new reality this is how it has to be for now. So far, both students and staff have adapted to the new learning environment well, and most Panthers hope to be back to normal someday whenever that is.