Students Participate in Unique Spirit Week

A group of students show off the t-shirts they won in the Joe Bustos Hide-N-Seek contest.

Matt Dymond, Staff Writer

Spirit Week at GHS has become a time of the year where all community members  choose to express themselves and their creativity through differently themed days of wearing wacky outfits. Although this year’s spirit week was a little unconventional in that students could only physically be in  school two days a week, the outfits and creativity from the students and teachers failed to disappoint.

As much as any other event that takes place at GHS by the Student Council, a lot of planning goes into how the events are held and what is included within them. A lot of discussion went over which spirit days were picked, what days they were going to be on and even the music they played in the hallways during the passing period.  

Student Council adviser Kate Wagner shared some insight about her experience with spirit week. “I think it went as well as it could have. It is sad coming into fall and not having football and all the Homecoming activities, but this was a way to add a little fun to the schedule, while still looking forward to events that we hope can take place in the spring,” she said.

Wagner also spoke on how spirit week was different due to the new coronavirus guidelines. “It is hard, since students still had to wear masks and not everyone is physically in school each day. I’m hoping we don’t have to plan it this way ever again!” she said.

Every year during spirit week, a king and queen are crowned for styling the best costumes out of the whole school.  This year, seniors Brianna Lynch and Max Steele were crowned spirit king and queen. “It felt amazing to become spirit king. I would like to shout out Keegan Kapocius for also staying too fly with the steezy costumes,” Steele said. “I would donate my crown to him if becoming spirit king wasn’t my true destiny. Nobody could beat my Obi Wan Kenobi outfit though.” 

Lynch was also picked because of her creative costumes and looks. She never failed to exceed expectations this year, no matter what. “It was pretty cool to find out that I was Spirit Queen, but it was also kind of surprising. Since I couldn’t see anyone else’s outfits during virtual days, there was no way to see how mine compared to others, but I’m glad that I won,” she said.  “My favorite day was the Greendale day because I had a variety of pieces in my outfit that were more interesting and unique than the others.”

In addition to dressing up, another fun aspect of Homecoming Week was the Joe Bustos Hide N Seek contest, which was held on Wednesday.  In this activity Bustos would play hide and seek with the students and staff around Greendale.  He was hiding in a spot with his Green car that he drove around the school in and whoever found him the quickest would be rewarded with a Joe Bustos spirit week t-shirt.  

Senior Marcus Calvert was among the first to snag a shirt. “It was super easy to find Joe to be honest, no offense to my man Bustos. But it overall was a fun activity it took a few other people longer to find him but everyone won in the end which was great,” he said.

Despite the new school schedule, folks at Greendale were still able to find ways to celebrate a fun spirit week with costumes, great hallway music, and great high school memories. Spirit Week will always be a great memory to share with friends and family in the future, something to reflect on and feel nostalgic about.