Boys Basketball Has High Hopes for Season

Senior Marcus Calvert drives in for a layup against Pius XI.

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The 2020-21 GHS boys basketball season is in full swing, and for most players, it’s their first opportunity to play interscholastic sports since March or even earlier, so the season was undoubtedly highly anticipated by all players, coaching staff, and fans within the program. 

COVID-19 obviously brought some changes to the season and the way things are done, but the Panthers so far have overcome these challenges and are thrilled to be playing basketball again, even if it isn’t an ideal season. 

Senior Marcus Calvert doesn’t mind the COVID-19 protocols and is very excited to be playing hoops with his team. “I’m happy to be back and looking forward to playing basketball everyday with my friends,” Calvert said. “Covid brings many challenges such as wearing a mask at all times and the threat of having to cancel for two weeks at any given time, but as players we try not to think about that stuff. Our goals this year are to make a deep playoff run ideally and have as normal of a season as we can.” 

The Panthers respective conference, known as the Woodland Conference, is loaded with talent this year. Many of the teams they will be up against have multiple scholarship players, so it’s no question they will have to practice and play hard consistently to compete with the fellow heavyweights of the Woodland. 

Junior Zach Sheridan is confident that the Panthers will have a good season. “We have a very experienced starting five that is our main strength and will help us a lot this year,” Sheridan said. “We have many newcomers off the bench, but once they get up to varsity speed with practice our team will be that much better. I think we should be in good shape to make a deeper playoff run than the previous years. Our toughest opponents this year will probably be teams such as West Allis Central and Pewaukee.” 

Speaking of West Allis Central, the Panthers opened up their season against them with a tough loss. They were unable to bounce back and lost another tough one at Pius XI three days later. However, the season is still very young and there is plenty of time for this Panther team to find their groove. 

As Sheridan mentioned, this year’s Panthers are different than previous teams with more experience, which could contribute to a deep playoff run. In high school basketball, experience is easily one of the most important attributes for successful teams. 

Head Coach Ryan Johnsen agrees with Sheridans input. “Our main strength this year and what makes us different from previous teams is that we return four starters,” Johnsen said. “We lack size this year but have put in a new offense designed to help our players use their individual strengths which makes up for our size. To be successful we need our experienced players to continue helping our not so experienced players which they have done a good job of so far. We’re being cautious of the risks COVID-19 brings, if we continue to do what we’re doing to stay safe I believe it won’t bring many issues hopefully.” 

It’s very refreshing for students and parents to see winter sports being played at GHS once again when we were never certain we would be. It’s no doubt that all participants are happy to be back, and players hope COVID-19 will not ruin anything involving winter sports and boys basketball. The Panthers hope to have a successful season and hopefully make noise in the playoffs once again.