The COVID NFL Season Reaches Its Final Stretch

With a weekend of football ahead, take a look at how everything led up to this.

Will Brust, Staff Writer

The 2020 NFL Playoffs are set and football fans could not be more excited. Despite the many obstacles 2020 handed players and fans, this was still one of the most competitive, interesting, and exciting NFL seasons in recent memory. 

A lot of strange things happened this year. One of them being that the Washington Football Team, despite finishing the year 7-9, made the playoffs and won the weak, but competitive, NFC East division. Another strange thing was that the New England Patriots missed the playoffs for the first time since 2008 with the absence of Tom Brady. Although, most football fans are happy about that one. 

The Packers had an extremely strong season led by likely MVP Aaron Rodgers. They finished 13-3 and will face the winner of Washington and Tampa Bay. 

Senior Jah Reyes was impressed with Green Bay’s season. ¨I was impressed week after week with the Packers,¨ Reyes said. ¨Their offense is lethal and their defense is good enough. To win the Super Bowl they have to make sure their defense plays good every game, and they need to avenge their loss to the Bucs because when they played them earlier that was an extremely ugly game.¨ 

The Packers were one of the teams that was no surprise making the playoffs after their incredible season. But as previously stated, there were lots of surprises this year. Some teams turned out to be much better than many thought, others the opposite. 

The Buffalo Bills surprised senior Miguel Smith this season. ¨I did expect the Bills to be good, but not this good,¨ Smith said. ¨Their quarterback Josh Allen was elevated by their new receiver Stefan Diggs, and their defense was elite. I think they will be a problem in the playoffs.¨ 

Football fans are undoubtedly looking forward to this year’s playoffs considering the COVID season turned out this exciting. The NFL Playoffs never fail to disappoint, and football fans will often make time to watch these intense matchups with friends and family each year. 

Freshman Jack Bauer is looking forward to getting together with his friends to watch the playoffs. ¨We all love to watch football, and the playoffs make it even better,¨ Bauer said. ¨I hope the Packers are able to make Wisconsin proud and bring home the Super Bowl.¨ 

With all the negatives that have come lately, seeing the Packers in a good position to compete for a Super Bowl is a positive. The 2020 NFL season has been action packed and it will only get better from here. The first wave of playoff games will be the weekend of Jan. 9 and 10. Then several weekends to follow as teams hope to accomplish their goals of a Super Bowl victory in the COVID season.