Girls Basketball Season Underway

Junior Addie Stott dribbles the ball down the court.

Sarah Mills, Staff Writer

The girls basketball season has officially started, and there have been a lot of changes. With the Covid  guidelines the team is required to follow, notable players leaving, and a new head coach, this season will be a very interesting one to watch.  Their first game was a win against Pius, who was a powerhouse last year, so this season is shaping up to be a promising one but consistency will be the key.

Covid has drastically changed the way that practices and games work. Players are no longer allowed to shake hands with the opposing team after games and are required to wear masks while playing. Having to wear masks while doing physical activities is very difficult since it restricts airflow. Because of this, players tend to get winded faster. 

“The masks are the worst part during games and when running at practice, but we are all just happy that we are able to play this year,” junior Addie Stott said. Although the masks make it more difficult to play, the team seems to be fortunate they are able to play at all.

Covid hasn’t been the only big change to the 2020 girls varsity season. Weeks before the season started, last year’s varsity coach took a coaching job elsewhere. This left Greendale scrambling to find a new coach in time for the season. Fortunately they were able to find one, and now Dave Paszkiewicz and Jason Ellingson are coaching the varsity and jv teams. “I was the assistant coach for JV last season and now I have taken over as head coach of JV this season. I also help out with the Varsity team a lot and I like the direction that the program is heading,” Ellingson said.

Despite the big changes, many of the players feel as though the team has improved since last year. After taking down the Pius their first game there seems to be some truth to that. “I feel that the team is better this year compared to last year because the dynamic is way better and the team does not just revolve around one player. We started our season off strong with a win by five against pius and I’m excited to see what the future holds for us,” sophomore Ashley Lokker said.

Recently the team has been playing well after taking down Wisconsin Luthern and West Allis Central. “Our team has improved a lot since last season but it has been a big change with the new coach and people graduating,” junior Jenna Ridder said.