The Office Makes its Official Departure from Netflix

Evan Xiong, Editor in Chief

Undoubtedly one of the most popular shows for people of all ages is The Office. For the past several years  many people who love the show and have rewatched it time and time again on Netflix. But on January 1, 2021, it was removed from Netflix and many fans of the show are heartbroken, but rejoice by looking back at all of the good memories. 

In the show, dozens and dozens of characters were introduced throughout the 9 whole seasons. Two of the most popular characters were Jim and Michael, as they were iconic and have many memorable moments on the show. “My favorite character from The Office was probably either Michael or Jim because they were both funny and Michael made hilarious jokes, while Jim was always messing around with Dwight,” junior Ellabryn Steinman said.

People started watching the show at many different times. Some started watching when it was first released on Netflix, and others started during the pandemic. Either way, many people enjoyed watching it and are sad to see it leave. “I started watching The Office after a friend of mine had suggested that I watch it. At the time, a lot of people were watching the show and it was extremely popular,” sophomore Joey Joswiak said.

Throughout the duration of The Office, there were many memorable moments and laughs in each episode. Everyone has their favorite moments in the show, but there are some moments that are more popular than others. “My favorite scene was when Jim proposes to Pam in the gas station. It was such a heartfelt scene that proved that proposals don’t need to be fancy and extravagant,” senior Faith Xiong said. “As long as it’s with the person you love, it’s a moment to remember forever. I admired and loved watching their relationship evolve, and that scene made my heart very happy,” 

Many fans of the show are very sad, and some are even furious about it’s removal because they love watching the episodes over and over. “I feel really sad about it being off of Netflix because it’s one of my comfort shows and I was actually going to rewatch it again for like the 8th time once i was done with the show I’m currently watching,” sophomore Eliana Kiltz said.

Although The Office may be gone on Netflix, it will still be available on the streaming platform called Peacock. On the service, you can choose to use the free tier or the premium tier. With the free tier, you can watch most of the shows that are on Peacock with ads in between episodes, but with the premium tier you can watch anything in their catalog without ads. So for the enthusiasts of The Office, Peacock sounds like a great alternative to watch your favorite show.