Kansas City and Tampa Bay to Battle For Super Bowl LV

Quarterbacks+Patrick+Mahomes+%28left%29+and+Tom+Brady+%28right%29+

Quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes (left) and Tom Brady (right)

Will Brust, Staff Writer

After a long, different, and interesting COVID NFL season, we have finally made it to the biggest and final stage that is Super Bowl LV between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Bucs beat our Green Bay Packers in frustrating fashion, and Kansas City handled the Buffalo Bills and are looking to repeat as Super Bowl Champions. 

Fans will see young star Patrick Mahomes battle long time great Tom Brady who could potentially win his seventh Super Bowl which would only solidify his status as the best quarterback of all time. NFL fans are excited to see this matchup of some of the best quarterbacks we have ever seen play this sport. 

Despite Brady beating the Packers, it wasn’t himself that killed the green and gold. Questionable decisions made in mid and later in the game by the Packers coaching staff harmed their chances, as well as a few turnovers and unable to cash in on Tampa Bay mistakes. 

“The Packers beat themselves in that game,” senior Jonny Hottinger said. “They were the better team but their coaching was pathetic and definitely were the reason they lost. Although their defense wasn’t great, they made some big plays at times and the offense wasn’t backing them up afterwards. Of all the NFC Championship games we’ve lost recently, that one hurts the most.” 

Senior Nikola Mastilovich agrees with Hottinger. “The Packers were such a good team this year. I knew the only way they would lose in the playoffs would be due to themselves playing bad which was exactly the case,” Mastilovich said. “They just didn’t come up big when they needed to and weren’t making good decisions. They gave the game away.” 

A busted coverage to end the first half led to a Bucs touchdown, and a questionable decision to kick a field goal in the red zone on fourth down with little time and down eight points have Packer fans scratching their heads. But, there’s nothing that can be done now besides prepare for their 2021 season. 

The Chiefs come into the Super Bowl as favorites over the Bucs. Only one team has walked away from them victorious this season, and they have been very impressive in the post season to this point. However, Tom Brady and the Bucs have been playing well as of late too so this game should be a good one and Tampa should not be taken lightly. 

“I wouldn’t be surprised if the greatest of all time Tom Brady pulled off this upset,” sophomore Javon Murry said. “Brady is just a winner, and the team around him is solid. I think they will win it despite the odds you heard it here first!” 

All the craziness that the COVID NFL season brought to us will conclude in just over a week on Super Bowl Sunday. Although we won’t be seeing our Green Bay Packers competing in it, they had a good season and will be back we hope. No matter who plays in this game however, it is always exciting to watch and is great for family and friend fun. So who will be crowned COVID season champions? NFL fans are eager to see.