Audiences have mixed reviews for Godzilla vs. Kong

Ozzy Saavedra, Staff Writer

The hype for the much anticipated 2021 film Godzilla vs Kong is finally over now that the film was released in theaters March 31. Netflix star Millie Bobby Brown has made her second appearance in this film and critics thought she did a great job on the film. 

From the  powerful punches each monster landed it viewers felt it was overall a very exciting and intense action movie. It is now playing  at local cinemas and the new streaming service HBO Max. 

The movie gives a bit of background about the monsters and explains to viewers about the rivalry between the two. Towards the middle, the audience gets to see Kong’s homeland, Skull Island up close. It shows the US Navy has neutral respect for Kong and wants him to eliminate Godzilla. The film takes audiences to a futuristic, Tokyo Japan which looks like a cartoon and it is the home of the one and only Godzilla. 

Head director Adam Wingard’s budget for this movie was $200 million and 95 percent of Google users liked the movie. The title has 75 percent approval on Rotten Tomatoes and is rated 6.6/10 on IMDb

“The movie was loud, intense and had me to the edge of my seat. Overall I give this movie 8/10 because it really gave the audience a fight to see between the two beasts,” Noah Dineen said. 

The movie had buildings destroyed, landscapes oberupted and cities getting trashed. The most iconic scene was when the two beasts were standing apart making killer eye contact in Tokyo, Japan, Godzilla’s home turf. Zilla definitely took on Kong, he had him on his butt all movie but still put up a tough fight,” senior Joe Toetz said. 

Others say that the film ended a bit  suddenly and disappointingly. “ I don’t understand why the creator would make it end so soon and not well. I was hoping for a true and awesome ending of terror,” Miguel Smith said. 

Was the movie worth the hype or the excitement viewers were looking for? GHS students thought the movie was not bad, but maybe could’ve been better. “The movie was great and all and it really was awesome to see them fight, but the movie really didn’t give us a winner who fought. I know Godzilla totally won because he showed him who is really the bigger and stronger beast,” senior Drake Schneider said.