The Panthers roll through their first four games in the alternate fall season

The Panthers celebrate after a win on their home field.

Maxwell Steele, Editor in Chief

With the Greendale Panthers four games into a dominant season, they seem to be in complete control of each team they play.  They have a plus/minus of 79 points through 4 games and the defense has pitched 2 shutouts.  

Through the COVID season, they have been given two options: bounce or splat.  And if you have watched each game, it is quite obvious what option they took.

They started off their season strong by taking down Racine Case 42-6.  That was one of two games that was scheduled only days before the game was played.  The second game was also rescheduled to play West Allis Hale only a day before the game and Greendale took them down 35-0.

This is Rob Stoltz’s 20th year as head coach, and to him, this year is very special.

“Any person, any player, any coach, any team will encounter challenges,” Stoltz said.  “Choosing to bounce instead of splatting in the face of challenges is what leads to desired outcomes more often.  Mindset is a choice that is practiced and refined, daily.”  

The players are just happy to have the opportunity to play a season.  Senior quarterback Will Brust has been working for over a year to finally get his chance at a senior season.  “Words can’t describe what it feels like to be back on the field, it feels like a movie,” Brust said.  

Senior Zachary Hamilton agrees with Brust.  “My favorite part about my senior year is actually having a season as it feels great to be back,” Hamilton said.

As the team continues to roll through their opponents, the team believes that they have something truly special going on.  “I feel that the competition level this year so far has actually been a great fit for us as our opponents do have key talents and strengths but I do believe we have something special happening this year,” Hamilton said.

One thing that has stood out this year is the backfield tandem of senior Sam Sommerfeld and sophomore Javon Murry.  They have combined for 590 yards rushing and 9 rushing touchdowns.  “They compliment each other well because they have different skill sets which makes it harder on the defense, which gives us an advantage,”  Brust said.

Junior juice back Will Vaile is impressed by how well everyone on the offense is performing.  “Even when it seems like we have nothing going our way, we continue to bounce back and get ourselves level,” Vaile said.

The defense is also having a standout season.  They have only allowed 20 points through the first four games.  Senior middle linebacker Zachary Jahnz is having a great start to the season.  “The defense really comes together and we know how to communicate and do our job,” Jahnz said.

After their second game against Hale, Greendale showed that it doesn’t matter who they play, but that they will always bring out the best in themselves.  They took them down 24-0 for a very happy Homecoming.  With three games left in the season and no playoffs, the Panthers hope to finish undefeated and to stay the best team in the area.