Youtuber David Dobrik gets cancelled amidst controversy

Matt Dymond, Staff Writer

Whenever the conversation of successful and famous youtubers comes up, David Dobrik and his energetic, action packed vlogs have always been in the spotlight for being some of the most viewed and trending videos on the website.  

Dobrik and the vlog squad have racked up over 10 million subscribers and billions of views, coming up with original pranks and classic vlog videos which make almost anyone entertained.  

Dobrik rose to fame in 2015 after his 6 second videos on the now non-existent app, “Vine” and then moved over to youtube and created vlogs.  Some of his friends that star in his videos, like Jason Nash, Durte Dom, Big Nik, Alex Ernst, and Corinna Kopf make up what used to be the vlog squad.  

Senior Lea Unruh used to be an avid watcher of the vlog squad, tuning in to every new episode that came out on youtube.  She now has mixed thoughts about the vlog squad, stating, “I religiously watched their stuff. I used to find it so funny and entertaining.  I never would have thought something like this would happen,” she said.

Unruh is referring to an incident that involved a prank that was different from what Dobrik’s viral videos used to be.  Something much darker.

No one would have thought that Dobrik could be a selfish, inconsiderate and money grabbing person, but many thought wrong.  In late February to early March, major controversy surrounding a couple of sticky situations involving Dobrik have put huge dampers on his success and fame as a Youtube star.  

One of the issues that arose was filmed on vlog and posted for the whole world to see.  A prank occurred where Jason Nash dressed up in an old man costume, and Dobrik told one of his friends to make out with what Dobrik said was Corinna Kopf in the costume, but really it was Jason Nash.  The man did not know that it was going to be Nash, and that was the whole part of the prank.  He felt violated after because he is a straight male, who just made out with another male when he thought it was going to be a girl.  

After the vlog was posted, the man who was pranked struggled to understand the validity and humor in the prank, also claiming that Dobrik didn’t pay him for any screen time in his video.

After the uprising of this controversy, many people started coming forward addressing Dobrik and vlog squad members of many things from sexual assault to bullying and verbal harassment.  One former vlog squad member and famous youtuber “Big Nik” addressed the bullying remarks placed on Big Nik.  

Nik was born with a disorder that results in him being well below the average height for a male, which shouldn’t be a problem for Dobrik since he is made out to be this light hearted, rich youtuber who cares about all his friends and fans rather than the money and fame, which is wrong.  Dobrik in his vlogs would always toy with Nik’s height and always make trying to be funny, yet rude remarks to Nik.  These jokes would be in Dobrik’s vlogs, like there wasn’t an issue to begin with, which makes things worse.  

Sophomore Mallory Skaar has second thoughts about supporting his videos anymore. “After hearing all the allegations coming out about his personality and how he exploits people for his personal gain, it kinda grossed me out, especially the situation regarding him and Dom, weird,” she said.

Now Dorbik has officially been cancelled.  The many allegations coming out have been proven true and there are now many allegations that all follow the same dark path of arrogant humor and nonsense.  “I’m done with Dobrik, just lets you know that things may not always be as they seem, and people are very condescending when it comes to internet fame,” freshman Noah Dineen said.