Top Ten Netflix Series Recommendations

Izzy Zarinana-Mahnke, Staff Writer

10.) Designated Survivor-TV-MA

Designated Survivor is a Political Drama which first aired on Sept. 21, 2016, with the final episode airing on June 7, 2019. The show ran for a total of three seasons. The tv series follows Tom Kirkman, a low-level cabinet member, who, after a terrorist attack on the capital, becomes sworn in as President. Kirkman must figure out to navigate the difficulties that come with the Presidency, while having no prior experience and a country desperate to find out who corritated the Capital bombing. 

It stars Kiefer Sutherland as President Tom Kirkman, Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes, Maggie Q as Hannah Wells, Adan Canto as Aaron Shore, Kal Penn as Seth Wright, as well as Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman, Paulo Costanzo as Lyor Boone, and LaMonica Garrett as Mike Ritter. 

I like Designated Survivor because it’s mysterious and keeps you hooked and interested in the plot and what is going to happen next. It has a wide variety of characters and has multiple issues in which the characters must deal with.

9.) You-TV-MA

You is a Psychological Thriller tv show. The first episode premiered on Sept. 9, 2018, and so far has a total of two seasons. It is almost certain that another season will arrive sometime in 2021, but for fans who do not want to wait that long, the book series it is based off of, just released the third book in the series on April 6.
You follows Joe Goldberg, who works as a bookstore manager in New York. The audience sees Joe met an author, Beck, whom he immediately develops an obsession with. He goes through extreme measures to be with her-including getting rid of anyone who stands in his way. 

It stars Penn Badgley as Joe Goldberg, Elizabeth Lail as Guinevere Beck, Victoria Pedretti as Love Quinn, Shay Mitchell as Peach Salinger, Jenna Ortega as Ellie Alves, and Carmela Zumbado as Delilah Alves.

I like You because it has an interesting perspective. It’s intriguing to see the other side of the story and how Joe justifies his actions and how he thinks about what is right and what wrong. It’s an engrossing show and it’s interesting.

8.) Gilmore Girls-TV-14

Gilmore Girls is a comedy drama series that first premiered on Oct. 5, 2000. The last episode aired on May 15, 2007, ending with a total of 7 seasons. The show revolves around mother and daughter, Lorelai and Rory Gilmore, and their life in small town Stars Hollow. It spans from Rory’s sophomore year till her college graduation. 

It stars Alexis Bledel as Rory Gilmore, Lauren Graham as Lorelai Gilmroe, Scott Patterson as Luke Danes, Melissa McCarthy as Sookie St. James, Kelly Bishop as Emily Gilmore, Liza Weil as Paris Geller, as well as Keiko Agena as Lane Kim, Edward Herrmann as Richard Gilmore and Jared Padalecki as Dean Forester.

I like Gilmore Girls because it’s funny(Lorelai is very witty) and it’s engrossing. The storyline keeps you interested and in suspense as what is going to happen next. I could spend hours watching it and never get bored.

7.) Never Have I Ever-TV-14

Never Have I Ever is a Comedy Drama first aired on April 27, 2020. So far it only has one season, but season two has been renewed and is expected to premiere in July, 2021. The tv series follows Devi, a first-generation Indian-American teenager, who just recently lost her father. Devi tries to improve her social status, but things don’t go quite the way she planned. 

The show stars Maitreyi Ramakrishnan as Devi Vishwakumar, Darren Barnet as Paxton Hall-Yoshida, Lee Rodriguez as Fabiola Torres, Jaren Lewison as Ben Gross, Richa Moorjani as Kamala Vishwakumar, Ramona Young as Eleanor Wong, Poorna Jagannathan as Dr. Nalini Vishwakumar. The series is narrated by John McEnroe, but there is an episode where Andy Samberg.

I like Never Have I Ever because it’s fun, it’s interesting, it’s diverse. It’s funky, and I feel it captures the awkward and nerdiness of high school. It deals with problems teenagers have faced. It’s also very popular, scoring a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

6.) Julie and the Phantoms-TV-G

Julie and the Phantoms is a Musical Comedy-Drama series. The first episode aired on Sept. 10, 2020. There is no news yet on whether or not the show will get renewed for season two. The tv show follows Julie Molina, a high school student who loves music. Although, since the death of her mother, she finds herself unable to sing again. That is until one day, when she plays a CD by a band called Sunset Curve, and three long dead ghosts appear. With the help of them, Julie finds her way back to music, and together they form a new band, Julie and the Phantoms.

It stars Charlie Gillespie as Luke Patterson, Madison Reyes as Julie Molina, Owen Joyner as Alex Mercer, Jeremy Shada as Reggie Peters, as well as Savannah Lee May as Carrie Wilson, Booboo Stewart as Willie, and Jadah Marie as Flynn.

Even though Julie and the Phantoms is turned towards a younger audience, I think it has some great themes in it. It’s about a teenager dealing with loss and finding her way back to what makes her happy. It’s got great, snazzy, songs, it’s interesting and funny. It’s a great, generally enjoyable show.

5.) Scream-TV-MA

Scream is a Thriller Horror series(based off of the movie franchise), which first premiered on June 30, 2015. The last episode aired on July 10, 2019. The series produced a total of three seasons. The first two seasons follow a group of teenagers, in a town called Lakewood, where a string of murders have begun. The teens have to fight for survival, all while trying to protect their friends and family, as well as find out who is behind the mask. The third season follows a different set of teenagers in a different town, but they are also being hunted and have to carefully plan their next moves in order to catch who’s behind the murders. 

The first two seasons starred Willa Fitzgerald as Emma Duval, Carlson Young as Brooke Maddox, Bex Taylor-Klaus as Audrey Jensen, Amadeus Serafini as Kieran Wilcox, John Karna as Noah Foster, and Tom Maden as Jake Fitzgerald. The third season starred RJ Cyler as Deion Elliot, Jessica Sula as Liv Reynolds, Keke Palmer as Kym, Giorgia Whigham as Beth, Tyga as Jamal, C.J. Wallace as Amir Ayoub, and Tyler Posey as Shane.

I like Scream because of the suspense and mystery it keeps you in. It’s a cool show and keeps you engrossed. It’s also interesting how they spin the horror, slasher movie vibe, and drag it out(there is actually a scene in the first episode that discusses this and I think it’s brilliantly done). There’s great acting and it’s an addicting show. I didn’t like season 3 for multiple reasons, but it does revolve around completely different characters, so it is not necessary to watch it.

4.) Glee-TV-14 

Glee is a Musical Drama that first premiered on May 19, 2009 and lasted until March 20, 2015, producing 6 seasons in total. It follows the newly formed McKinley High School’s Glee Club, as Spanish teacher Will Schuester(Matthew Morrison) tries to get the New Directions to Nationals. The show deals with many teen issues, such as teen pregnancy, bullying, homophobia, and more. 

It stars Lea Michele as Rachel Berry, Cory Monteith as Finn Hudson, Darren Criss as Blaine Andreson, Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel, Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez, Heather Morris as Brittany S. Pierce, as well as Amber Riley, Dianna Agron, Kevin McHale, and Jane Lynch.

I like Glee because it covers a variety of topics and issues that other shows would shy away from. I also like the musical aspect(which averages around five songs per episode), and the wide variety of characters. While the show may be inconsistent at some times and has its ups and downs, it’s overall a good show and I recommend it.

3.) New Girl-TV-14

New Girl is a sitcom that first premiered on Sept. 20, 2011, and lasted seven years(seven seasons). The final episode aired on May 15, 2018. It follows Jessica Day, who after she discovers her boyfriend cheating on her, moves into an apartment with three guys-Nick Miller, Schmidt, and Winston. Together they navigate adult life, including careers choices and relationship issues. 

It stars Zooey Deschanel as Jessica Day, Jake Johnson as Nick Miller, Max Greenfield as Winston Schmidt, Lamorne Morris as Winston Bishop, as well as Hannah Simone as Cece and Damon Wayans Jr. as Coach. 

I like New Girl because it’s hilarious and features some characters that are very eccentric, which makes interactions very interesting. It’s quirky and unexpecting at times. It’s also very popular, scoring a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

2.) Sherlock BBC-TV-14

Sherlock BBC is a Mystery Crime show that first aired on July 25, 2010. The last episode of season 4 aired on January 2017. So far, it is unclear whether or not the series will continue, but the lead actors are open to the possibility. The show follows Dr. John Watson, an army doctor who just recently returned from service in Afghanistan. He runs into an old friend, who introduces him to private consulting detective Sherlock Holmes. They become flatmates and start helping Detective Inspector Greg Lestrade-who works for New Scotland Yard-solve crimes taking place in London. 

It stars Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes, Martin Freeman as John Watson, Mark Gatiss as Mycroft Holmes, Rupert Graves as Inspector Lestrade, as well as Louise Brealey as Molly Hooper, Andrew Scott as Jim Moriarty, and Amanda Abbington as Mary Morstan. 

I like Sherlock because it’s funny, it’s really well acted and directed. It’s interesting and intriguing, with a mystery aspect and I greatly enjoy it.

1.) Merlin BBC-TV-PG

The first episode of Merlin-a Historical Fantasy show- premiered on Sept. 20, 2008 and lasted until Dec. 24, 2012, ending with a total of five seasons. The show is a retelling of the classic tale of King Arthur of Camelot, and follows the famous sorcerer Merlin. When he first arrives in Camelot he learns that magic is outlawed, and he becomes Prince Arthur’s servant. Merlin has to find a way to keep his secret and protect the future king. 

It stars Colin Morgan as Merlin, Bradley James as Arthur Pendragon, Katie McGrath as Morgana, Angel Coulby as Guinevere, as well as Richard Wilson as Gaius and Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon.

I like Merlin for multiple reasons. It’s funny, it’s got amazing actors, and it’s filled with adventure and magic. It’s extremely interesting and is one of my favorite shows.