Brewers Pitching is off to a great start, Hitters are struggling to get started

Caden Sanchez, Staff Writer

The Milwaukee Brewers were off to a good start, and although they have struggled lately, they still have a good record of 20-17, and they are currently in second place in the NL Central. The Brewers are 2 games behind the first place St.Louis Cardinals. Much of their success is due to their pitching and they are hitting pretty well even with Lorenzo Cain out for a few weeks and Christian Yelich still out of the lineup. 

Corbin Burnes had a very good first month in the 2021 MLB season. His record is 2-2 with an ERA of 1.53 this season. Freshman Bram Van Roo is a big Brewers fan and he thinks Corbin Burnes is doing well and should be getting more attention. “I think that Burnes’ record is great, but it needs more recognition. The baseball media hasn’t really been covering it,” he said. “I think what has led him to success is the cutter. If you look at the stats, in 2019 he used his fastball 53 percent of the time, now he uses it less than 10. But using his slider and cutter have really helped.” 

Yeich came back for one game against the Philadelphia Phillies late last month, but he got injured again and now is on the IL once again. Van Roo thinks that Yelich is going to come back healthy. “With Yelich, he should be back next week. I think it might take him a little while to get back into the groove, but overall, he is still Yelich and he started the season well,” he said. 

The Brewers have a lot of outfielders like Yelich, Cain, Tyrone Taylor, Avisail GarciaI, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Billy Mckinnie. Senior Glen Rogers likes the abundance of outfielders. “The Brewers having many outfielders has helped so much. Especially with Cain and Yelich out it has helped us stay in games,” he said. 

Rogers especially loves the edition of Bradley Jr. “We got JBJ for his defense which he is excellent at. And he is a flashy hitter. He is playing exactly how I expected him to play,” he said. Relief pitchers Josh Hader and Devin Williams are both having  great seasons. Williams did have a rocky start but he is now doing well. Hader also broke a record for the youngest player to hit 400 strikeouts for a relief pitcher. Rogers loves both of these pitchers, “Hader is doing Hader things. He’s going crazy.”He also thinks that Williams is just going to keep improving. “Williams is starting to come around. He got rocked earlier in the season, but that’s because they didn’t pitch him a lot, he just needs to pitch more to do very well,” he said.