YSG Takeover

YSG+Takeover

Matthew Gutierrez, Staff Writer

Music. A critical aspect of life, music can change your mood, make your day and everyone loves it. No matter what kind of music you listen to everyone listens to music, life without music would be a very boring world. 

Two seniors at GHS, Marcus Calver and Jah-Sua Reyes, also known as YSG,  are jump starting their music careers with their song “4 Doors.” Calvert talks about how they first started writing music together. 

“It was a joke at first and us just messing around with some beats and throwing words out there. After seeing how people reacted to our song we can definitely say there is more on the way,” he said. “ We were just sitting around and the idea was tossed around for a little while until we both began to just casually write and freestyle and when we started to make songs, we both began to see we had a passion for the music and what it can do.”

Their first song “4 Doors” was released in January 2020, and it’s safe to say the people loved it, and the word quickly spread and soon everyone knew about it and students could hear it almost everywhere. 

The best friend duo began to question whether or not they should continue until people asked when more music was coming and now the answer has appeared with their latest single 4 Doors. “ We were shocked. It was a song we wrote in about an hour and recorded on an iphone we never thought anything of it,” Reyes said 

The duo explained that they just teamed up with a record label. “It just came at the right time and helped us to jump start the music but way more professional and organized and they have worked with us and talked for hours and have set plans for the future to really take this off,” Calvert said. 

Reyes is happy they have signed with the record label called R.N.E. “It was a great way to really get us focused and I’m excited to get to work,” he said.

Reyes explains what music is to him. “ Music is something that should be special to everyone, not only those who record but those who listen because there’s music for when you’re happy and sad but it’s a way for you to let out your thoughts and emotions and tell people how you really feel,” he said. 

The duo is yet to start their career but based on reactions from their first song it is safe to say that YSG is on the come up.