Football Coach Rob Stoltz announces retirement from coaching

Will Brust, Staff Writer

Greendale High School football has one of the most notable winning traditions in the state of Wisconsin. Behind Coach Rob Stoltz, the Panthers had made the WIAA State Playoffs 15 straight seasons from 2005-2019, and on Thursday, May 27, he officially retired from coaching.

In a story in jsonline Stoltz had this to say about why he retired. “There really isn’t one factor involved,” he said about the decision to step away. “Most people in this position, if and when they chose to step away on their own accord, it’s a series of factors. I think my situation is no different in that respect. Certainly, family is one of those factors, but it is by no means the only one.”

In Stoltz’ last season, the Spring Alternate 2021 season with no playoffs, Stoltz’s Panthers went undefeated, posting a 7-0 record and finishing as the second ranked medium sized school in the state. Success was expected under Coach Stoltz and he carried a tradition that not many other football programs can say they match. 

In 20 years as the varsity head coach, Stoltz won 8 conference championships to go along with 2  state championship appearances. A very solid resume. Despite the continuous success, like all other coaches Stoltz started as a beginner once too. 

When I first started teaching, I was not determined to make coaching part of my career,” Stoltz said.  “However, West Bend West offered me a very attractive contract, financially, for both teaching and coaching, so I took the opportunity.  My first year, I was the head Freshman Coach for football and the Varsity Sprint coach for track at West Bend West.”

Stoltz has had a positive impact on his players on and off the field for life, and  many players often returned for a game or two to check in on the program and Coach Stoltz to revisit the best times of their lives. 

“The part of coaching that I like the best is helping others become as great as they are capable of, and interested in becoming, while also competing like heck,” he said  I love watching others ripping the lid off what they previously may have thought possible in themselves and their team, and I love the determination and preparation that goes along with winning.”

Coach Stoltz had many influencers himself as he grew up playing sports. Because of his great support system, he was able to find success and learn important lessons that applied to his coaching career. “My high school baseball coach, Robin Schrank, comes to mind as someone who had the greatest impact on me, in that he helped me to embrace the idea that willing yourself to accomplish anything is possible,” he said. “He did not deliver it in exactly that way, but the passion that he conveyed to his players was something that I have learned is more the exception than the rule.  In other words, while he did not necessarily inspire me to coach, he DEFINITELY inspired me as a player.”

Stoltz played college football at UW-Oshkosh and then went on to play overseas after graduation. “My college football coach, Ron Cardo, has also had a large impact on me.  He was a very kind person that provided me with opportunities to excel,” he said.  “Coach Cardo was a primary person responsible for me playing professional football in Germany, and he is the main person responsible for the start of my coaching career in West Bend because he was college teammates with the head coach at West Bend West at the time, Steve Ohan.”

Senior Sam Sommerfeld was  the starting running back for Greendale the past two seasons and  he will miss many things about Coach Stoltz. “I’ll miss the positive energy he brought to every football event,” Sommerfeld said. “As well as his talks with us players to get us motivated and ready to play and get better as not only football players but as people too.” 

It’s safe to say that Coach Stoltz’s impact at Greendale High School towards football players, students, and staff has been remarkable and something that everybody will cherish. The success he has brought to the football program is something that you really don’t see anywhere else, and the smiles and lessons that he brings to each person involved with him will never be forgotten. 

Greendale High School and the city as a whole are going to miss Coach Stoltz on Friday nights getting a win with the football team. Although he will no longer coach at GHS, he will remain a special education teacher at GHS and will still make a positive impact on student and staff lives each and every day.