Varsity Tennis team pushes through the tight season

Evan Xiong, Editor in Chief

As the end of this year’s boys Varsity Tennis season comes to a close, players look back at how far they’ve come and what accomplishments they’ve made. The Varsity team has had their ups and downs this season, but continued to push through the storm and are nearing the finish line. 

The Varsity team has fought many teams throughout the season, some of them being challenging, and others not so much. One of their toughest matchups this season was Martin Luther High School. “Their number one singles player was a foreign exchange student from Germany who was extremely talented and able to move the ball with extreme precision. I lost 1-6 and 0-6, but it was a lot of fun to play against someone as good as him,” junior Tommy Young said. 

Tennis is a crafty sport, and on the court, you have to analyze your opponent to find their strengths and weaknesses. Everyone has skills and tactics that they are good at and they use those skills to their advantage. “The best part of my game is my ability to move the ball around the court. Placing balls cross court or down the line to make myself be able to have a good approach and get an easy volley at the net allows me to get points easily,” sophomore Corey Mattin said.

The Varsity team is a very diverse group of players, some with less experience than others. Graduating from high school is inevitable, which means that the team will always lose a couple of their star seniors. “I believe I will miss the camaraderie the most from tennis. It just has a different feel compared to the other sports I play like volleyball. I will definitely miss this group of guys a lot,” senior Evan Smazal said. 

Like the beginning of every tennis season, there are always new people that join the team. These people range from freshman to seniors and it’s always nice to get new teammates. “It is going pretty well for a lot of my matches this year. As a freshman playing 2 singles, I think I’m doing well and have gotten much better this season,” freshman Ryan Bilan said.

Even though the Greendale Varsity Tennis team has had a shortened season, they’ve still done their best to make do with how little time they were given. They’ve pushed through the season and might be able to maintain their title for conference champions.