Hollywood Nights Homecoming a Success

Queen+Jadyn+Galaska+and+King+Dev+Patel+pose+after+pep+rally+

Queen Jadyn Galaska and King Dev Patel pose after pep rally

Olivia Ortiz, Editor in Chief

After a year hiatus, Homecoming was back at Greendale High School! On Sept. 18, the week was full of Hollywood themed spirit. 

The Student Council created a spirit week that many participated in. Monday began with students dressing up as their favorite TV/movie characters. Many people chose Netflix characters such as John B from Outer Banks with a Hawaiian button shirt, scruffy hair, and a bandana. “I got the idea of dressing up as him from watching the show and seeing that John B has flow and I’m trying to go for that look,” senior Danny Hanlon said. 

There were also a variety of people who got creative with Disney characters such as Lilo and Stitch and Jesse from Toy Story. 

Lights. Camera. Action! Red carpet day was the second theme that students participated in. From prom dresses, to big sunglasses and boas, kids and staff had fun with this one. 

On Wednesdays we wear pink! GHS was filled with the color pink as all 4 grades and staff dressed head to toe with spirit. Wednesday was spirit queen junior Danijela Gallo’s favorite spirit day. “This day was my favorite because we’ve never had a spirit day like this before, and it gave me a reason to wear my hot pink sweatpants,” she said. 

On Thursday the senior girls battled it out on the football field for the annual powder puff game. The Wonder Women and the Black Widows took the field, and ended in a 15-8 victory for the Wonder Women. “My favorite part about the powder puff night this year was playing with all of my friends while the rest of the school was watching,” Black Widow senior Abby Laplante said. 

To end the spirit week, each grade wore a specific color on Thursday and on Friday they were full of Panther pride and ready for the pep rally and Homecoming football game against Wisconsin Lutheran. The pep rally took place outside this year with lots of entertainment for everyone. Homecoming court was announced during the pep rally, with seniors Jadyn Galaska and Dev Patel being crowned King and Queen. 

The relay race between each grade included a toilet paper wrapping, pie eating, and 40-yard throw contest that ended with the seniors taking the victory. The GHS cheerleaders and poms team performed, as well as guy poms and cheer who put on a show for the stands. “My favorite part about the pep rally was watching the guy pom’s because it was super funny to see them try to dance,” sophomore Bailee Anders said.  

On Friday night, the football team took the victory 28-20 against Wisconsin Lutheran, and the stands were filled with students, parents, and fans. “The crowd’s energy makes the game fun to play and it really helps us as a team,” senior Will Vaile said. 

Black Widows practice before kick-off

To end the 2021 Homecoming week, GHS hosted an outside dance on the football field instead of inside to help with Covid-19 guidelines. 

“The dance was awesome! We really got lucky with having great weather all week. I really liked the lights on the field that the deejay provided. The decorations with the “Hollywood” letters in the bleachers and signboards and red carpet showed us a really good, solid theme.” Student Council adviser Andrew Muszytowski said. “The music was very good and the students would have continued dancing for hours if we had the time.” Students really enjoyed their dance  outside along with the music and decorations. “The lights and decorations for the Hollywood theme made it really cool, especially since it was outside,” junior Mallory Skaar said. The Hollywood letters sign was largely displayed on the bleachers, and there was a red carpet walkway to enter onto the dance floor. Overall from a student and staff perspective, Homecoming 2021 was one for the books, despite the minor changes.