Greendale students and staff debate Apple vs. Android

Colin Remington, Staff Writer

Many teens spend time on their smartphone every day and it’s no secret Apple vs Android is a hot debate. According to Statcounter, the global market share looks like this: Android: 72.2 percent iOS: 26.99 percent. However, it appears to be the opposite for Greendale students.

Because of features like FaceTime and iMessage games, Greendale’s students tend to gravitate towards Apple. Senior Cade Wilson has always used apple products. “My favorite feature about my iPhone is that it has the Face ID feature that can be used to unlock it,” he said. “I also like that the feature can be used for other apps.” 

Sophomore Isaiah Ramirez has an iPhone XR and loves it. “I like how easy my iPhone allows me to stay connected to my friends because as long as you have a phone you’re never alone,” he said. 

Despite the apparent domination of the iPhone within the school, Android users are still roaming the halls. Senior Noah Roder is an  of the Google Pixel 4. “My parents wouldn’t pay for an iPhone so they settled on the Pixel 4,” he said. “It only costs about $300 and it has a pretty solid battery life.”

Android is undoubtedly the cheaper option and many parents take this route when buying their children’s phones. It also has many similarities to the iPhone that often goes unnoticed. Android provides customers with many more options that are being released that use Android software as opposed to the one phone that Apple releases each year.

Some teachers throughout Greendale High School use an Android product as well. “It’s what I am used to and I don’t want to switch to another operating system. Facetime is not my priority,” English teacher Alli Brimmer said. “ I’m staying strong with Android even though my whole family wants me to switch.”

Despite the strong resume that Android contains, it just doesn’t seem to be popular with teens, especially here at Greendale High School. Many students that have had an Android product in the past are eager to switch. 

Junior Matt Miksic is a prime example. He had previously been an Android user and recently made the switch to IOS. “I got the iPhone 11 which cost around $800,” Miksic said.  “Because my last phone was unable to Facetime, the switch has benefited me positively because I can now talk to my friends better. I also like the fact that I can take better quality photos,” he said.

Roder hopes to get an iPhone soon. “I am eager to make the switch to Apple because I will be able to communicate with my friends easier and I will no longer be made fun of for my poor picture quality when snapchatting with friends,” Roder said.

The camera qualities of both have different features that developed through the years. iPhone has recently developed phones with a 3-lense camera to improve photo quality. The three different lenses include a telephoto, wide, and ultra-wide. This can be compared to the Android camera, where most models are still at 1-2 lenses. 

Senior Jacob Hanley enjoys taking pictures on his iPhone. “I love how clear the front camera is and it ensures that my photos never appear blurry,” Hanley said.

Overall, it seems that Apple has made some significant changes over time and continues to make more and if they continue,  teens will continue purchasing Apple over Android because in some eyes, Android is trying to keep up but they just aren’t there yet.