The Return of Summerfest

Abagail Czarnyszka and her boyfriend at Summerfest

Sarah Ademi, Editor in Chief

Summerfest returned to downtown Milwaukee last month and thousands of music fans bought tickets to watch big artists like Miley Cyrus, Kesha, Chance the Rapper and The Jonas Brothers at the main stage while others walked around to hear other artists on the ground stages.

Unlike years past, this year Summerfest was three-day weekends, Thursday-Saturday, rather than 11 days. Some people liked the three weekend format and that it was in September rather than June. Junior Ashley Turdo who attended the Kesha was one of them. “I loved it because it felt like summer for another weekend. It gave me something to look forward to. Kesha loves glitter and sings the best song to play in the car,” said Turdo, “I just wished that she would have played other hits like Die Young, Crazy Kids etc.”

Another student that attended the Kesha concert was sophomore Ayanna LaPointe who enjoyed the songs and how engaging Kesha was with the crowd. “ I think it was a fun start to the school year to have Summerfest during the first week,” she said.

Although Kesha was one of the more popular artists that GHS students attended, many had complaints about her performance because she started late. “I didn’t like how Kesha came on late so she didn’t perform a lot of songs,” senior Elizabeth Weber said.

Beside Kesha, Weber saw performances by Jai Wolf, Diplo, Neon Trees, and T-Pain. “I love how everyone comes together and it feels like there’s nothing but a passion for music and everyone’s just there to have a good time,” Weber said.

Miley Cyrus was another popular concert, and she excited the crowd when she put on a Hannah Montana shirt. “I loved how energetic and alive the crowd was,” junior Alexia Olech said.

Senior Isaac Kling attended the Lindsey Stirling concert and loved it. “I liked that she was able to still do what she normally does on her YouTube videos: Dancing around the stage, playing the violin and doing quick costume changes all without stopping for more than five minutes,” he said.

Junior Abbie Czarnyszka attended the Megan Thee Stallion and Polo G concert. “My favorite part of Summerfest was Polo G opening because he is my favorite rapper.” 

Along with Czarnyszka, junior Marissa Hanley also saw Megan the Stallion opened by Polo G. “I loved when Megan brought fans on stage and how both of them knew how to get the crowd hyper,” she said.

Business teacher Mary Guida, enjoyed being able to see live music again. She goes to Summerfest every year and it’s a special place for her. “I met my husband at Summerfest. Our first, second, third and fourth days were all at Summerfest. I’ve also seen 100’s of bands over the years,” she said.

She hopes people take advantage of Summerfest in the year to come. “People don’t realize what a great honor it is to have Summerfest essentially in their backyard. There are more than 10 stages of free live music, you are able to see numerous acts and listen to a variety of music basically for free for 11 days,” Guida said, “It’s a great place to hang out with friends, meet new people, and just have a great time.”