Greendale students are falling for fall

Greendale students are falling for fall

Maddie Grenier, Staff Writer

FALL FOODS/DRINKS:

The fall season means fall foods are now in season such as pumpkin pie, caramel apples, apple pie, and fall drinks like the popular pumpkin spice latte. 

Freshman Addison Benning with her fall Starbucks drink

“My favorite fall food is pumpkin pie because it is so yummy. I can get this food from either Elegant Farmer which is really good but also my grandma makes the best pumpkin pie,” senior Sadie Richlen said.

And speaking of pumpkin pie, lots of people like pumpkin flavored things like pumpkin drinks. A popular place to get these drinks is Starbucks Coffee. Starbucks has many different pumpkin and apple drinks to choose from. 

My favorite fall drink is an iced vanilla latte with pumpkin sweet cream cold foam. I get this from Starbucks,” freshman Addison Benning said.

Now since October many stores have started selling different pumpkin and apple foods like pumpkin cheerios, pumpkin bread, apple cider doughnuts, pumpkin cheesecake, and apple fritter. And people love to make pumpkin and apple desserts at home too.

“My mom makes this pumpkin cake/bread with cream cheese frosting every fall. It’s literally my favorite dessert and it’s gluten free,” senior Carly Fritz said. 

HAUNTED HOUSES:

Haunted houses are very popular places to go to during the fall season. Many people love the thrill of haunted houses and there are many in the area such as The Hill Has Eyes, Abandoned Haunted House Complex, Wisconsin Fear Grounds, and Fright Fest at Six Flags.

Fright Fest runs from Sept. 18 – Oct. 31. There are lots of decorations and it’s extra spooky at night. It’s not as scary as a normal haunted house but there are creepy characters walking around to scare you.

“I like haunted houses because they put me on edge and give me a thrill. I go to Hill Has Eyes and Fright Fest. Fright Fest is my favorite because it combines roller coasters and horror so it’s extra fun,” senior Cade Wilson said.

Senior Alyssa Dorava also likes to go to haunted houses. “I go to two or three haunted houses every Halloween. I have been to the Hill Has Eyes a few times and I really like Fright Fest,” she said. 

The Hill Has Eyes, at The Rock Sports Complex is a very popular haunted house for students because it’s so close. It goes on every Friday and Saturday of October from 6pm-12am. It takes about 60 min to go through and there are many different areas throughout the park.

“I love haunted houses because it is fun to feel the adrenaline of being scared. I usually go a few times to The Hill Has Eyes,” freshmen Billie Reiter said. 

ACTIVITIES: 

Besides haunted houses, some of the activities for fall are going to a pumpkin patch, apple orchard, carving pumpkins, going hiking, and making festive foods. People like to do these activities with family, friends or a significant other. 

“I love all fall activities and I go to the pumpkin patches and apple patches in the Greendale area. I would love to do them with someone special, but otherwise just my boys,” senior Will Vaile said.  

Seniors Emily Ploszay and Sadie Richlen at Elegant Farmer.

Some popular apple orchards and pumpkin farms are Elegant Farmer, Lindner’s Farm Pumpkin Patch, and Apple Holler. At these places they have a variety of different things to do. You can go out into the fields to pick pumpkins and apples and they usually have yummy treats inside.

“Every year my family including all my cousins and aunts and uncles go to the Elegant Farmer to pick apples and pumpkins and walk through and get lunch at the little farmers market,” senior Emily Ploszay said. 

“I go apple picking every year, with my family, and we normally go to Elegant Farmer. We usually eat them, and pick a certain amount of apples. And then we have them for a while to eat. We missed it last year because of Covid but every other year we do,” senior Isaac Kling said.