Success and stress…Greendale Girls Volleyball

Girls+Volleyball

Girls Volleyball

Iris Oliveras, Staff Writer

Just like any other sport, The Girls Varsity Volleyball program has had its ups and downs. After an eventful 2020 season, the girls were finally ready to build up to the standard that everyone holds Greendale up to. After going to state four consecutive years from 2015-2018.

So far this 2020 season, there have been new recruits, but also veterans that help when it comes to making the team work as a whole. “It has been really fun so far. I like all the girls and team dinner is so fun,” freshman Billie Reiter who had a successful year on Varsity.

Returning senior libero, Sadie Richlen feels the season has gone pretty well, “I think that this season has been challenging because we are holding ourselves to a high standard and we don’t always execute when we want or need to, but I really enjoy the girls on the team and every win that we get is a reward,” she said.

This year’s season has been full of ups and downs, one of them being their match against Pewaukee. “In all honesty it was a rough match,” Richlen said. “Pewaukee was a great team and even if we did good things on our end they would meet us with the same intensity. It wasn’t our shining moment as a team, but I think we were able to learn more about what we needed to do as a team to be more successful in the future games,” Richlen said. 

Losing against Pewaukee was a tough for the girls, as they had prepared all season for this match. But not all losses were necessarily disappointments. At the Slinger tournament, the girls lost to Germantown by two, intensely played points. 

They went from losing the first set to winning the second to then battling out the last 3 points of the third set. Coach Kelly was proud of the team’s effort even though they lost. “No matter who the opponent is, I’m always initially nervous, this has been me for years, but once things get rolling and we can gain some rhythm that feeling wears off,” she said. Just as much as the girls get energized when we do something well, so do I. I do get really excited and I would like to think the girls feed off my energy as well,” she said.

As the season goes on, the team has continued to show improvement, as they went on a three game winning streak. Beating, west allis, cudahy, and shorewood. Everyone is excited to see how the rest of the season plays out, “It is rewarding to see the girls improve and grow during the season. Seeing all the hard work we put in at practice shows during the matches makes it worth the time and dedication both the coaches and team has,” Schmidt said.

Finding that momentum is what the girls have been working for all season. With just about a week left of the season to go. The girls hope to play well as the season ends. Its safe to say we can’t wait to see what the rest of the season has to offer.