Greendale’s Girls Swim team ends their season on a high note

From left to right, Nikolina Gallo, Jocelyn Zgola, Megan Mellock

Colin Remington, Staff Writer

The Greendale Girls Swim team ended the season on a high note after a positive showing at the State Meet at Waukesha South High School. Six girls competed in individual events as well as relays.  

Junior Kate Turner swam the 200 IM and placed 5th in the 500 freestyle, setting both an individual and school record in the event. “I was happy with the way I performed because it was a lot more competitive than last year,” Turner said. “I plan to work on improving my time next year.” 

Senior Jocelyn Zgola ended her senior season with a solid performance at the state meet. She placed 4th in the 100 freestyle, 5th in the 200 freestyle, and 6th in the 400 freestyle relay but was a little disappointed in her performance. “I didn’t do as well as I would have liked to at state. My times were not where I wanted them to be,” she said.

But this is not the end of her swimming career as Zgola will be competing at the college level. “Next year I will be going to Mckendree University in Illinois where I will be swimming,” she said.

Junior Mikayla Meyer placed 6th in the 400 freestyle at the state meet and was happy with the results. “I was proud of my performance at state because I accomplished my goal for the season. This year’s state was more exciting because we could watch and cheer on our teammates from the pool instead of having to watch our teammates swim on a TV due to Covid,” she said. “My goals for next season are to improve my times and be a good teammate and leader as a senior on the team.”

In addition to strong individual performances, the 400 freestyle relay, which was swam by Zgola, Turner, Meyer, and Freshman Chloe Yerkes placed 6th at the state meet. The 200 freestyle relay swam by senior Emily Patzfahl, Sophomore Hannah Mellock, Meyer, and Zgola was unfortunately disqualified due to an early start.

The Girls Swim Team also accomplished an undefeated Woodland Conference season, along with winning sectionals so they had a very successful season.