The Future is Now

GHS Garden and Sustainability Club and Environmental Club pose for a picture after raking leaves for Compost.

Now that the school year is returning to normal, that means clubs are up and meeting again. One of those clubs is the Environmental Club which was started by a former alumnus Alicia Garcia. Although she has since graduated, two seniors have come together with passion for the environment to continue the club at GHS. 

The Environmental Club’s co-leaders are seniors Cat Celsor and Macy Ortloff, with the club’s adviser being science teacher Julie Hahm. They had their second meeting on Nov. 15,  where they raked leaves to help the Garden and Sustainability Clubs compost pile. 

Co-leader Macy Ortloff is excited to be getting involved with the environment this year.

“I like that we’re able to go out and do things this year. Last year with Covid-19, we only had conversations,” Ortloff said.

Hahm is also excited for the club to be running again this year.

“I hope that my love of spending time outside hiking or backpacking or just sitting rubs off on them,” Hahm said.

The club holds bi-monthly meetings. During one meeting they learn how to help the environment from a powerpoint presentation, and in the other meeting they participate in some outdoor activity that immerses them in nature. 

Sophomore Adriana Kelly is excited to be a part of the club, “I hope to help out the community by doing things like trash pickup, as well as learning about new, positive changes I can make. I’m most excited to spend time outside with the club,” she said.

Club members want to emphasize ways to be more sustainable, whether that’s by eating less meat, using less plastic, or recycling, rescuing, and reducing properly.

“I hope that the one thing I get out of the environmental club is just being more sustainable and having less waste. I’m excited to learn about how I can do this and then apply it to my life,” senior Jessie Wang said.

The club has the best wishes for this year and hope the school sees the Environmental Club in a positive light.

“I want it to be seen as an opportunity for students to get outside and enjoy the amazingness that is all around us. I also want it to be a place where students can learn to make more sustainable decisions and lower their carbon footprint,” Hahm said.

Speaking to non-club members, senior Olivia Mabbott believes an Environmental Club could greatly benefit Greendale.

“Not only could we educate students, but we could also improve the nature around our own school and make it look nice,” Mabott said.

The environment is highly important to some, and Ortloff is no exception.

“The environment is very important to me, so if we can keep the club running we can make a greater impact on the environment around our school and in our community,” she said.