GHS students share their New Year’s Resolutions for 2022

Olivia Ortiz, Editor in Chief

With the holidays just passing, the topic of new year’s resolutions is hot. Whether those goals are physical, mental, or social, there’s always room for improvement. 

Common feel-good resolutions involve giving back to the community when possible. Junior Addie Ritchie hopes to donate more to the humane society and volunteer in the community. My grandmother helps with a homeless shelter every Wednesday and she always asks me to help out. I have always been busy, but now I have the chance to,” she said. 

Physical resolutions are some of the most common goals that people create when starting the new year. Senior Savannah Bailey has set the goal to stay vegetarian this year. “This is an important goal to me because I realized I didn’t like the taste of meat enough to take an animal’s life when there are better alternatives,” she said. “I think this is a good goal because not only does it benefit my health but the environment’s and helps fight against animal cruelty.” 

With the start of a new year, becoming a better version of yourself is something general that can branch off into many different directions. Some students from GHS decided to focus on mental health rather than physical.  

Sophomore Ayanna LaPointe has set a resolution for herself and her mindset. “A goal I have for myself is to be more bold and let myself just live! I hope to stop worrying about what others think,” she said. 

Senior Gabby Gilbertson has a similar goal, adding that she wants to focus on loving herself despite anything that might get in the way of that. 

Personal finance is something that many teenagers and young adults struggle with. Although some haven’t come to that realization yet, senior Ellabryn Steinman has hopes to change her habits. “I really want to spend less money this year,” she said. “It was an issue where I would buy pointless stuff whenever I went to Target or went out with friends and got food or Starbucks or Dunkin and it all added up. I want to spend less this year so that I can save and have money for college.” 

Overall, GHS students are finding ways to push themselves further and navigate through their 2022.