Greendale Varsity baseball starts out successful

Junior Eli Brozynski (Front) and Senior Andy Justus (Back)

Alin Ademi, Section Editor

The Greendale Varsity Baseball team had just started their season and are doing very well, with a current record of 8-3. 

Their first game against Muskego was one of the most exciting of them all. Senior Tristan Ellis hit a walkoff over the centerfielder’s head which then scored the leading run to win the game, with a final score of 7-6.

With Muskego being one of the tougher teams to play, this walk off brought a lot of motivation for the team for the rest of the season where they will face tougher teams. “The biggest challenge in conference games are Pewaukee and New Berlin West. While in the playoffs it’s Muskego and Marquette,” Coach Brian Johnsen said. 

This year the woodland conference had a lot of good competition and their non conference games were a lot more challenging consisting of good teams like Franklin and Muskego. Greendale played Franklin and suffered a tough loss 8-1. Franklin hit the ball well and had a complete game no hitter. 

Sophomore Jack Bauer, who has been on the team for two years, said it was a tough game. “I think that Franklin is one of the better teams that we have to play. They have good pitching and they can hit the ball pretty well,” he said. 

The Pewaukee game this year was a very exciting game as well. Greendale was going into the 7th inning with 2 outs, but they rallied for 3 runs when senior Will Vaile hit a walkoff base hit to score junior Edward Kuster and senior Keegan Norton.

This year graduating seniors like Ellis, Norton, and Andy Justus are committed to colleges to play baseball. These players, along with other seniors, have had a great impact on the team. “My favorite memory is when we beat Pewaukee while we had both student sections chirping in a thrilling ending of a game,” Justus said.

Greendales’ most recent game was against New Berlin Eisenhower, and they won 10-5. Leading the offense was freshman Luke Mattes who had 3 hits in this game. 

The underclassmen look to the seniors to lead the team to a successful season. “I have played with these guys for two years and have created really good relationships with them. They are great players and they will do very well wherever they attend,” Bauer said.