HOCO Pep Rally and Spirit Week excite students

Cali Olszewski, Section Editor

Homecoming week is always fun with five spirit days and a pep rally on Friday when the Homecoming king and queen were announced along with the new spirit class winner! 

Every spirit week there is a different theme for each day of the week. This year Monday was neon, Tuesday was dress as your favorite music genre, Wednesday was class color day, Thursday was dress as your grades assigned decade, and Friday was school spirit day. Many people participated in these days, but there were some mixed reviews on Tuesday’s theme.

I thought that the dress as your favorite music genre one was stupid because everyone dressed as country and I literally know none of those people actually listen to country and only did it because it is so easy,” senior Cylia Ahmed-Yahia said.

Other than the mixed reviews for Tuesday’s theme, overall there was a good turnout for participation in this year’s spirit week. 

Something new that was tried this year was having one advisory class win the spirit award instead of a spirit king and queen. 

On Monday and Wednesday every Advisory teacher counted how many students in their class participated in the theme for that day. The ACP with the most participation was announced. Some students were disappointed that there weren’t 2 individual spirit winners, but overall having an ACP class win increased participation throughout the student body.

“The advisory spirit competition was an idea that the administration had that we helped coordinate. Our hope was that by making this an advisory competition by grade, more students would participate and advisories would work together to win the spirit award,” student council adviser Lucy Siepler said.

The winner from 9th grade was Dawe-Crahen’s ACP, 10th was Kozicke’s ACP, 11th was Solati’s ACP, and the two 12th grade classes ended in a tie between Geiger’s ACP and Lasch’s ACP. 

The pep rally is always something students look forward to on the last day of spirit week.

It’s fun to watch and participate in with so many different activities taking place. One of the crowd favorites every year is watching the guy poms perform. 

The seniors in guy poms put many hours into learning the routine to make it look perfect for the pep rally and for their performance before the homecoming game on Friday.

“The best part about it was being able to see all the smiles on each GHS student and teacher’s faces when performing at the pep rally,” senior Cason Wilson said.

The poms athletes had fun teaching the seniors a fun and exciting routine.

Other fun parts of the pep rally was watching the cross country team run in the gym doors after running from Wisconsin Lutheran High school, the poms team and cheer team performed. The varsity football players were announced by their coach. There was a relay race between the grades which was so fun. 

The ending of the pep rally is exciting because everyone sees who becomes crowned the homecoming king and queen. The 2022 Homecoming king was Javon Murry, and this year there was a tie and there were 2 homecoming queens Madelyn Nogalski and Gianna Kidd-Trujillo.

“My favorite part of being one of the homecoming queens was being crowned with my boyfriend!” senior Kidd-Trujillo said.

But none of the pep rally could’ve happened without the two master of ceremonies seniors Ashley Turdo and Cayden Krutina. Turdo’s advice to the next MC is, “Don’t be nervous at all and take in all the fun that comes with MC because it only happens once.”

Spirit week and the pep rally is one of the best parts of the school year. All the fun that comes with it is always something to look forward to for next year.