Girls basketball looks to keep their season alive

Victor Cruz, Staff Writer

Greendale girls basketball team is now 8-8, with their most recent game on Wednesday where they beat West Bend West, 65-53. The seniors on the team are Ashley Lokker, Alaina Wilkenson and Samantha Glatczak, and they all have played a big part in this season’s success. 

Earlier on in the season, they played Racine Park and took a very easy win 80-50. “My favorite part of the season so far was when we played Racine Park. I had 4 three-pointers along with 19 points and a team win,” Lokker said.

Although the main part of basketball is about playing the actual game, one of the important parts of the game is bonding off the court. You make connections with the people you play with and that can last forever. Lokker, who averages 10 ppg, reflects on the bonds she had made during this basketball season. “I will remember the bonds that I made with all the underclassmen. They were a much better group to play with than the seniors last year,” Lokker said. 

Greendale plays in a really tough Woodland West conference, which many feel like is one of the best conferences for Division 2. The main goal is for the team is to make the playoffs and try to win, but it wil be difficult. “We’ve had a pretty good season so far this year. And I think that if we do make it to the playoffs, no matter what the outcome is, we will all be really proud of how far we have come,” sophomore Kylee Swenski said.

As everyone knows, when you play a sport as a senior, this is the last time you have the experience of playing a high school sport, which can bring fun times with teammates. The seniors will all have a great season to remember. “One thing I will always remember about this season of basketball is everyone getting to know each other better and becoming closer as a team,” senior Alaina Wilkinson said.

Besides the seniors, the underclassmen are enjoying the season. “I decided to play this season because I have been playing since 2nd grade and I really love it. Also, I am really close with all my teammates so I knew it would be really fun,” Swenski said.