Understanding the Tradition Behind Groundhog Day

Anjalee Napierala, Staff Writer

Feb. 2 is officially known as “Groundhog Day,” where the groundhog tells us when spring will arrive, but why is it such an unknown “holiday” among the general population? Though it’s on calendars and celebrated largely in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, the groundhog tradition is often seen as “unneeded” or “useless.”

“I think it’s kinda silly that we use a groundhog to tell how long winter is going to be. You’d think they’d have some kind of science machine to figure that out,” senior Brady Polasek said. 

Senior Arianna Brown agrees. “He’s anything but accurate. He steers us wrong every time,” she said. But, she still longs for the holiday. “It should continue because he’s so cute,” she said.

The story behind the holiday began as Christianity was spreading worldwide. Christian followers would hold feasts on Feb. 2 called “Candlemas” to determine when spring would arrive.

If the feast was on a sunny day, spring would come later; whereas if it was gloomy spring would come early. Europeans took the tradition into their own hands and used small animals that hibernate to determine if they saw their shadows or not. Germans would specifically use badgers.

When the Germans began settling in Pennsylvania, badgers weren’t as available. In fact, the easiest hibernating animal to find was the groundhog. In local newspapers of Pennsylvania, news began to spread about a groundhog named, “Punxsutawney Phil,” a groundhog who was said to be a “meteorological wonder.” It was in 1887 when he would officially become the representative of Feb. 2.

The tradition continues with the groundhog every year in Pennsylvania due to the members of the “inner circle.” This group consists of 15 men who all wear black tuxedos with bow ties and top hats. They are responsible for taking care of Phil’s necessities and handling him during the celebration held on Gobbler’s Knob. 

The city of Punxsutawney is also responsible for keeping this tradition alive. Groundhog statues known as the, “Phantastic Phils,” can be found around the city, all dressed up differently. One is dressed up as the statue of liberty, another of a mailman, and even one as a pizza man. Not only do the statues contribute to the holiday, but also the shops which fill with groundhog merchandise varying from apparel, toys, and glassware.

The celebration of Groundhog Day can often be found on television with the showing of Groundhog Day featuring Billy Murray as a news reporter who gets stuck on the same day, groundhog day, in Punxsutawney. As a well known movie, GHS students have varied opinions on it.

“I love Bill Murray movies. ‘Groundhog day,’ [the movie] plays on a ton of different channels so it reminds me that it’s Groundhog Day the day of since the holiday isn’t really talked about,” junior Tanner Johnson said.

Sophomore Valeria Whaley is not a fan of the movie. “The concept of the movie is good, it just feels so long with him [Bill Murray] continuously repeating his actions until later in the movie,” she said. “But the holiday itself is fine; I don’t really have an opinion on it other than it’s kind of random.”