Greendale wrestlers compete in the WIAA State Wrestling Championship

Alin Ademi, Section Editor

This year, two Greendale athletes, junior Noah Koss and senior Diana Khaddour  competed in the 2023 WIAA State Wrestling Championship in Madison.

“This is something that is always great to see on why so many of our sports programs get the opportunity to finish their season on the biggest stage in their sport within the state,” Athletic director Jerad Galante said. “In wrestling, Noah and Diana put in a lot of hard work, both in season and out in order to achieve the honor of being state qualifiers.” 

Koss wrestled in the 126 weight class and finished off the season 39-8 allowing him to compete in the state championship. “I was really excited when I won my sectional. It was a great feeling and a great match,” Koss said.

Khaddour, defeated all odds by becoming the first female athlete from GHS to make it to state in wrestling history. “Diana going to state this year in the sport of girls wrestling is a big deal for her, the WhitDale wrestling program, and the Greendale community as a whole,” Galante said. “She is the first ever Greendale female student athlete to qualify for the state wrestling tournament and is a trailblazer for all Greendale women athletes to follow in the sport of wrestling.”

Khaddour finished the season 20-20, allowing her to compete in the state championship. At state, Khaddour lost in the first round, but it was a great experience, “Wrestling at a state level was awesome. I just cut my weight down at the end of the season but was still put in the 110 to 117 when I was 105 at the time,” Khaddour said. “This made it harder for me to compete but other than that it was an honor to wrestle.” she said.

At state Koss wrestled two matches, winning the first one, but unfortunately losing the second one. “The atmosphere was great there and even though I lost, it was still a great experience,” Koss said.