Golf team looks to start out strong

Victor Cruz, Staff Writer

The golf team has started their season, and there are some returning seniors, along with some new players from all grades. Golf may not be as popular as some of the other Greendale sports, but is fun for all students to play. The golf team has a JV team and a varsity team so there is plenty of room for students to join this golf team.

The coach of the golf team is Christopher Muench. He would love to have some new players join the team. “Anyone can come out for the team.  We start the process in January with interested players,” he said. “In March, we kind of get going with getting everything organized and normally start the season the first week of April.  We now have a Girls team that will play in fall, starting in late August.  Any student who wants to know more about how to come out for either team should get in contact with me.”

Muench loves coaching this team and enjoys the journey he takes with his players. “Panther Golf has been really successful with some pretty good teams over my years here.  We’ve had some teams and individuals qualify for the State Tournament and are always in the mix for winning the Woodland,” Muench said. “Pewaukee has been our main rival over the past few seasons, but feel that we will catch them this year.  I like seeing guys who come back who have played here.  Always a lot of stories, talking about past rounds and how they continue to play the greatest game out there.”

Freshman Charlie Sheridan is looking to join the golf team this year. “I’ve played golf for a while now. It’s fun to go to the range and just hit some balls with my driver. I’m excited to play organized golf with some of my friends,” Sheridan said.

Senior Grayson Sinks is also a new member of the Varsity golf team and is happy that they won their most recent match. “The meet was really good because we won by a lot,” Sinks said. “It’s also really relaxing to play golf and our practices are easy so it makes it so much easier.”