Pioneer Outlook

Greendale High School News

Pioneer Outlook

Pioneer Outlook

Girls basketball season begins with a win

The high school girls basketball season has begun and this year looks to be a bit of a challenge for the Greendale girls basketball team due to a low turnout at tryouts. 

Because of this low turnout, GHS will only have one team this year. Even though there’s only one team, the girls are still working hard. “I think there are advantages to having only one team this year, like more support, more help, and more positivity,” junior Ashawnti Strong said. 

Most of the girls think they’re going to have a challenging season. “I think the season is gonna be hard, but I think we’re gonna do our best,” freshman Cece Szweda said. “I’m most excited for our games this season, and I’m also excited to play with older, better girls who are more competitive. I think our biggest competition will be Pewaukee because they have many good players.” 

Many of the girls have different goals for the season. “My goals for the season are to score as much as possible, have a triple double, and to become more of a team player,” Strong said. 

Their first game was Nov. 28 against Westosha Central and Greendale took home the win 56-52. Sophomore Tatiyana Edwards scored 21 points during the game. “I think I communicated well during the game, and I brought good energy to the team, and I shared the ball,” she said.  

Their second game was on Dec. 1 against Pius, and Greendale lost 69-32. The team knows that being so young, there will be some struggles. “We didn’t play that well because I think our communication was off and we weren’t working together the best we could,” Szweda said.