Pioneer Outlook

Greendale High School News

Pioneer Outlook

Pioneer Outlook

NBA All-Star Weekend wraps up

NBA All-Star Weekend wraps up

The NBA All-Star weekend occurred from Feb 16-Feb 18 in Indianapolis, where many interesting events were going on such as the All-Star Game, the Dunk and 3-point Contest, and the new Steph Curry vs Sabrina Ionescu Contest where they competed to see who’s a better 3-point shooter. 

In the Steph Curry vs Sabrina Ionescu competition, NBA star Curry went up against WNBA star Ionescu to see who could make more 3’s in 70 seconds. While Ionescu scored 26 3 points, Curry outscored her with 29 3-points. 

Many people have decided they wanted this event to return because it was an interesting event to watch and it was entertaining. “I believe that the Steph Curry vs Sabrina Ionescu competition should stay because it was an exciting, but fun, event that made all of us surprised when Sabrina Ionescu scored 26 3-points on an NBA line,” sophomore Charlie Sheridan said.

The 3-point Contest was entertaining as well with Bucks guard, Damian Lillard winning the 3-point trophy, scoring 26 points in the last round and 26 in the first round. Lillard also won last year’s 3-point contest, meaning he won back-to-back 3-point contests. “It always feels amazing when a Bucks player wins a contest in the all-star, but he should also start hitting those in games,” freshman Korben Pfeifer said.

The Dunk Contest was also an interesting event with guard Mac McClung winning the back-to-back trophy. There were also some other contestants with impressive dunks like Celtics Guard Jaylen Brown throwing a 360-dunk with Terrence Clarke’s jersey because of his passing, and Mac Mcclung dunking over 7-foot legend, Shaquille O’Neal. 

With that being said, people believed the dunk contest was disappointing because the dunk contest used to be the most interesting event, but it isn’t anymore. “I believe the dunk contest was alright, I just believe the old dunk contests were better like the 2016 Dunk Contest,” junior Rudra Sharma said. 

The All-Star Game itself saw a record broken where it shows the most points scored in an All-Star Game, With the Eastern Conference taking down the Western Conference. We saw Eastern starting PG, Damian Lillard winning the All-Star MVP with 39 points, 3 rebounds, and 6 assists. We also saw Western substitute Karl-Anthony Towns having a 50-point game. Some people believe the game was okay at best and there was no competitiveness. “I thought the game was good, but it would be better if they start trying more in the game because it’s boring to watch right now. I believe Dame is gonna make a comeback and the Bucks will start winning again,” freshman Noah Jacobson said. 

Overall the All-Star Weekend was left with mixed reviews as people loved the idea of Curry vs Sabrina and Bucks PG, Damian Lillard winning the 3-point contest, but disliked the Dunk Contest and All-Star game.