Girls Cross Country Finishes The 2020 Season Strong

Sophomore Mady Muehr advances to the state meet after a wild season.

Sophomore Mady Muehr nears the finish line at a race earlier this season.

Maxwell Steele, Editor in Chief

Throughout 2020, high school athletes have all been forced to move past the challenges that are put in front of them.  Girls Cross Country, had to  run through it, and far past it.  The girls team had an outstanding season, with one member, sophomore Mady Muehr,  advancing to the  state competition.

Muehr placed 4th in the sectional meet Oct. 23 to qualify for the state meet on Oct. 31.  Junior Angie Oliveras also competed in the sectional meet and ran a personal record, but was unable to secure a spot in the State meet.

At the state meet, Muehr placed 63 out of 114 girls in her race with a time of 20:21 in her 5k.  “I feel like I did my best even though it was super windy that day and it was very competitive,” Muehr said.  With factors such as wind and cold temperatures, it can affect a runner’s times.  “Sometimes at the big meets, everyone starts out really fast and if that is not your beginning pace, it can ruin your final time,” Coach Corey Binnebose said.

Prior to Sectionals, the team competed in the Sub-Sectional Meet at Grant Park and finished in 3rd place out of 9 teams.  Muehr placed third, Olivares placed 6th and senior Sarah Iselin finished one place out of the qualifying positions.  Juniors Ella Wilson and Jadyn Galaska and sophomore London Amado finished the team scoring. 

Even with the high level of competition the team brought to races, the season was different in many ways.  “This season was very different because there are more rules during the races that we usually wouldn’t have,” Oliveras said.  “We had to race with gators on and we also didn’t get as much team bonding like pasta parties which help us connect as a team.”  

But even with those changes, she was just happy they got to compete.  “I think I speak for [the team] when I say we are super grateful for the opportunity to do our sport with the times we are in right now,” Oliveras said.

After a long season, the student athletes are just happy to have been able to compete in their favorite sport.  “Overall, 2020 was another success despite missing our goals,” Binnebose said.

With 2020 bringing challenges for everyone, girl’s cross country took the challenges head on, and crushed expectations.  As the girls had a successful season, they hope to carry on their hard work into the offseason and continue their dominance into next year.