Black Friday Shopping will Look a Little Different This Year due to COVID-19

Matt Dymond, Staff Writer

Black Friday shopping has become an event that has companies hustling to get ready for the parade and crowds of shoppers every single year.  Usually hundreds of people line up outside of big name department stores and malls, and some people will even camp out overnight just to be first in line to score on some good deals.  However, as 2020 has played out and Black Friday is inching closer day by day, how are these big department stores going to handle the influx of shoppers and minimize the spread of Covid-19?

Every American citizen has different ideas of how serious the coronavirus is, and how it affects their life.  Some people are just more worried about it than others, which could create issues for those who disagree.  Since the pandemic began back in March, retail stores are cracking down on the virus as much as they can by giving out hand sanitizer, not, allowing only a certain amount of shoppers in at once, temperature checks, mask requirements, and card only payments.  

Senior Reyna Gamez decided she is going to stay in for Black Friday shopping this year, as she would rather do her shopping online because it’s more safe and a lot easier.  “I just feel like it’s easier to shop online. I’ve always preferred shopping online rather than in store, even before Covid,” she said. 

However others are not letting the virus stand in the way of getting good deals. Sophomore Josh Borgen is excited to head to Southridge Mall on Black Friday to get some sneakers at Foot Locker for a steal. “As much as I care about the coronavirus and how it can affect me and the people around me, I believe if I protect myself as much as I can then that means I can protect others around me.  I need to cop some new kicks at Footlocker; they better have some deals,” he said.

All of the stores around the country have taken steps to become cleaner, but it doesn’t seem to be slowing down the spread of the virus.  So far in the first 10 days of November, over 1,000,000 Americans have tested positive for Covid-19, according to the CDC.  

Senior Marcus Calvert is an essential part of the TjMaxx team at Southridge Mall and his store is taking extra precautions in the days leading up to Black Friday.  “Things will be pretty distant as our store was always back when Corona started getting crazy.  Most of the workers I work with need to keep a job and coronavirus has really been stripping a lot of people of their jobs, so that’s why I’m here.  We do our best to keep our customers safe and healthy as they come to our store,” he said.

Another addition to Black Friday is the easy way to shop online and still find deals you would find in a store.  Lots of department stores now have easy ways to access their online stores, and deals online are just as easy to find as in the store.  Cyber Monday has always been a preference for senior Osvaldo Saavedra, as he shares his opinions on online shopping.  “I like it way better than going into the store and shopping.  It’s so much easier for me to find what I’m looking for,” he said. “I don’t have to go talk to anyone and have trouble looking for stuff.  And since the coronavirus is limiting our human interaction I think it’s a great idea to do your shopping online for the holidays this year.”  

Online shopping eliminates the potential possibility of catching covid at a department store whilst shopping.  Those who are vulnerable and easily susceptible to mild to severe symptoms of covid should stay inside for the holidays to protect themselves.  Despite the pandemic however, Black Friday shopping will continue to happen.