Veganism is on the Rise around the US and the GHS Community

Burger King introduces the popular Impossible Whopper as veganism and vegetarianism is in high demand, even in fast food joints.

Angie Oliveras, Guest Writer

Veganism and vegetarianism is on the rise as it becomes more popular with teens and adults for many different reasons.  With around 9.7 Million vegans in the US according to Plant Based News, the plant based and vegetarian diet is not merely a trend, but a lifestyle choice. 

Many are seeing the positive results of the plant-based or no meat diet with their sports and with making better lifestyle choices while taking a different approach to eating and fueling the body. Others are doing it for the positive environmental impacts that going vegan or vegetarian has on the planet due to CO2 gas emissions from the meat and dairy industry.  

Overall, there is a notable amount of community members at GHS that are plant-based or vegetarian and are helping influence the people around them for the better because of the popularity and the attention the lifestyle has gotten. 

The plant based and vegetarian community is on the rise and becoming more popular with teens for a variety of reasons. “I originally went vegetarian (and later vegan) due to the damage that the meat industry has on the environment, as well as for ethical reasons,”  senior Angelina Skoropa said. 

The growing awareness of the environmental and ethical problems that have occurred with the meat and dairy industry has made many people completely eliminate meat and dairy from their diet.  According to the EPA on gas emissions, the industry with livestock production alone has emitted a total of 14.8 greenhouse gases, and around 9.5 billion are killed in the US each year for food.

Environmental and domestic reasons are important to many vegans and vegetarians, but they also aren’t the only reason.  Math teacher and coach Brian Desalvo is currently vegetarian and has noticed positive impacts on his health and his food choices. “When I stopped eating meat, I was forced to find more ways to expand my diet,”  Desalvo said.

Like many people, DeSalvo’s focus is on how being vegetarian makes him feel and how it improves his health and mind.  “Eating more vegetables and plant based foods which have studies showing that eating a more varied diet of plant based foods is healthy for us,” he said.

Overall, the number of GHS students who are aware of the plant-based and vegetarian lifestyle is growing.  In a recent GHS survey, 63 percent of the students and staff who responded said  they personally knew someone who was vegan or vegetarian, and 33% were open to being vegan or vegetarian in the future.  

Junior Emma Leston is a vegetarian and plans to keep living this lifestyle. “I plan on being vegetarian for the rest of my life,” she said.“I convinced my mom to go fully vegetarian.”  

For the people that doubt the food choices, Leston has this to  say. “The benefits it brings outweigh any inconvenience for food, like finding a quick place to eat when most of the food is meat.” she said.  

Some may feel that there is a lack of nutrition that comes with the diet, but plant-based dietitian Alison Tierney assures people that malnutrition is not an issue. “It is a complete myth, and meeting protein needs is actually quite easy for both male and females,” she said. “An individual can live an incredibly healthy life and meet their nutrient needs with a whole food, plant-based diet.”

For people looking for interesting and simple dinner ideas or places to eat, that is not a worry, as there are many options available to both vegans and vegetarians.  Desalvo’s go-to meal is a burrito bowl with beans and rice, and any vegetable that can be sauteed.  

Senior Axel Semidey likes to eat black pepper tofu with rice and bok choy.  And for something simpler, Leston can always rely on a cheese pizza.  

Restaurants have new options as well with Burger King introducing the Impossible Whopper in November of 2019 and different plant based meats from brands such as Morning Star with vegetarian and vegan options.

Veganism and vegetarianism is taking a turn to become more widely known and practiced.  Plant Based News says that around 6% of Americans are plant based, which is a 600% increase in just over three years. “Before becoming vegan I was very ignorant in relation to the diet,’ Semidey said. 

With more news and information with different options for people not only in the US, but around the world, veganism is a growing and stable lifestyle which many think will continue to grow for years to come.