Golf returns in stunning fashion

Junior Zach Sheridan (left) and Senior Braden Sinks (right)

Maxwell Steele, Editor in Chief

As weather starts to get nicer out, and the sun stays out for longer, there is one Greendale team that likes to enjoy that all day, the golf team.

Unlike many sports, not too much has changed for the golf season except a few minor things.  “WIAA gave golf a new set of rules,” coach Christopher Muench said.  “No touching flagsticks or rakes, shorter season, and not as many big invites.” 

But even with the new rules in place, the team is still having a great season.“Brandon LaBeau is having a nice season,” Muench said.  “He plays the #1 slot for us and has been a medalist in our Woodland season.” 

That is no surprise considering what LaBeau did to prepare for this season.“Me and some of the other guys on the team would go to the indoor range and we would hit simulators to stay dialed in for the season,” LaBeau said.  

Last year, golf was one of the few shorts cut off due to the start of the pandemic so the preparation needed was more than physical.  Players had to take a break from high school competition and continue to work on their craft alone.

“I had been going to the driving range with LaBeau often over the off season,” junior Zachary Sheridan said.  “The biggest strength on our team is that all of our players are comfortable around one another, and we are always laughing and having fun.”

Greendale finished the conference meet with a team score of 386 and second in the conference.

While varsity golf was having a strong season, we also saw JV golf win the Woodland Conference Tournament with a team score of 388 highlighted by freshman Abby Hajewski and sophomore Alex Spottek who both shot a 93!