Students and staff reflect on this past school year

Matthew Gutierrez, Staff Writer

As the school year comes to an end, students and staff look back on what a chaotic, stressful, and abnormal school year it was. Some say it was easier some say it was more difficult, but the fact is it was different for everyone and lots of activities and traditions were unable to happen because of the pandemic. 

There was a storm of emotions and some thoughts on the school year from students and staff. “The year went by so fast, especially when we were virtual, I feel like it was so long ago and it was difficult to learn I definitely did not do well during virtual learning,” sophomore Mallory Skaar said.

Social Studies teacher Nicole Mobley and some thoughts as well. “The most difficult thing throughout this year was definitely the lack of effort and attention from the students; however it was because of this very chaotic year,” she said. 

English teacher Joe Belknap agreed. “The worst part was the lack of motivation and not being able to do little things that made a big impact, like setting up my classroom how I want and checking out books,” he said.

Junior Nathan Dineen talks about the worst parts of the year. “The worst part of the year was not being able to do things, like activities, any intramurals and just a bunch of rules that were not that good.” 

Skaar disliked something else even more.  “The worst part about it was definitely wearing the mask,” she said.

Some bigger events were either canceled or done under alernate circumstances like super limited guest or open seats at sporting events. “The worst part for me was socially distancing because we always had to worry about where we sit, eat, walk, etc. It was just annoying to have to worry about all day,” Dineen said.

Although the year was mostly negative for people because of the limitations on a lot of things, it has students excited and hopeful for next school year and if it’ll be back to normal, better, or worse than this year. As it’s looking right now the school year will take a big step in the right direction of going back to normal with certain activities and amenities being available again. 

“The one thing I am looking forward to the most is probably being able to play intramural basketball again and not have to wear a mask,” Dineen said. 

“I am really hoping next school year goes back to normal and we don’t have to wear masks, I also hope that more contact and hands-on activities are allowed again like labs and fully back in person,”  Skaar said.

Mobley hopes for a better 2021-22 school year. “I am looking forward to being able to go back in person and being able to do collaboration work with students,” she said.

Belknap sums up well what most people hope for next school year. “I am looking forward to just enjoying school and going back to what normal was,” he said.