Pioneer Outlook

Greendale High School News

Pioneer Outlook

Pioneer Outlook

Summerfest 2023 Review

The crowd screams and cheers. The stage lights shine different colors, almost blinding you. Bodies are jumping up and down, full of exhilaration. This is Summerfest: Milwaukee’s annual music festival in June and July, one that did not disappoint this year. 

For three consecutive weekends, there were over 1,000 performances on 12 different stages. This year’s performances included artists such as: Zach Bryan, Imagine Dragons, Noah Kahan, and Zach Brown Band

According to GHS students, Summerfest did a great job with their lineup. “My favorite thing [about Summerfest] was seeing all my different music genres together in one place, and seeing some of my all-time favorite songs live,” senior Lilly Pogorzelski said. 

Pogorzelski was not the only student who had a memorable experience at Milwaukee’s music festival. “I went to Lord Huron and Fleet Foxes. Lord Huron was honestly one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. The sound quality was really good and they had good stage presence,” senior Adriana Kelly said.

Music festivals would not happen without the effort of their employees. Summerfest provides jobs to people of all different ages in positions from a cashier at Chubby’s Cheesesteaks to an usher at American Family Insurance Amphitheater. “I worked in the security department as an amphitheater usher. I got payed about $14 an hour and got to watch concerts for free! I think it was definitely worth it for the experience,” senior Benjamin Cairns said.

For those who are looking for a summer job, Summerfest may be a great fit. “Next year I’m being promoted into a “red shirt,” which is basically a higher level of security. I’ll be making more money and doing more cool stuff,” Cairns said. 

Although students give positive feedback, teachers at GHS feel that the festival has gotten very expensive. “Prices and parking are insane. [Summerfest] used to be all free at the amphitheater too and you could stand in line for a hand stamp,” theater director Jeff Schaetzke said. 

Other teachers still find enjoyment in the many artists found there. “Hutter, Guida, and I went to see The Docksiders, a Milwaukee Yacht Rock band,” English teacher Kate Wagner said.

Students and (most) staff felt that Milwaukee’s very own music festival did an excellent job appealing to both the older and younger generations. Although the cost to have a great time has definitely increased, Summerfest is a symbol of excitement and the togetherness of concerts.