The Year 2020 In Music

After a hectic year all around, music still found a way to impact many.

Country singer Luke Bryan performs in front of a packed crowd.

Maxwell Steele, Editor in Chief

After a year of being stuck inside, not being able to see anyone, and having to try new hobbies, many students and staff turned to music to help them get through the tough times.  Whether it was listening to music while scrolling through social media, dancing to it on TikTok, or getting a workout in to your favorite music, everyone was listening in their own ways.

For some students, their summer consisted of trying out new music genres.  Junior Iris Oliveras started out venturing down south for her new music.  “I discovered a lot of country music,”  Oliveras said.  “I was never a huge country fan,  but I got really into it and realized I actually related to some of the songs and some days it would get me in a better mood.”

Sophomore Alexia Olech took the same journey as Oliveras.  “I used to dislike country music very much,”  Olech said“I definitely regret hating on country music as much as I did.”

The band Rage Against The Machine stands together.

But as always, the most popular music went to pop.  Some of senior Keegan Kapocius’ favorite music came from the pop genre.  “One of my favorite albums of the year was the new Album by Quinn XCII, ‘A Letter to My Younger Self,’’ Kapocius said.  The album peaked at 32 on the Billboard Top 100 albums while it spent one week on the chart.

Although everyone enjoyed streaming music on their phones and jamming to the radio, everyone was also missing live music.  “There is nothing that compares to the atmosphere at a live concert,” math teacher Brian DeSalvo said.  He planned on going to a Rage Against the Machine concert at Alpine Valley, but it was rescheduled for July 10, 2021 at the East Troy Amphitheater.

For math teacher Mike Bourke, it was Summerfest that hurt the most.  “It stunk not having Summerfest, not because I go every year, but it was nice to have the option,”  Bourke said.  “We need to realize that we’re pretty lucky to have it here in Milwaukee.”

Kapocius was also hurt with the cancelation of Summerfest.  “I was supposed to go to Luke Bryan at Summerfest,”  Kapocius said.  “That was something I was really looking forward to with my friends. The atmosphere when a famous song comes on and everyone sings it is awesome.”

So overall, 2020 was a great year for music.  It gave many people a chance to discover what they have been missing, and make memories to songs they already know and love.  Now with some concerts returning, and some getting pushed even further back, music fans can only expect that every word to every song will be sung a little louder than in years past.